Zionsville Times Sentinel

May 22, 2013

Whitestown council addresses traffic concerns

By Matt Werner
Staff Writer

Whitestown — Taking Whitestown Parkway to Interstate 65 can be difficult, especially around Christmas time when Amazon employees flood the area with additional traffic.

The Whitestown Town Council hopes to ease traffic concerns near the interchange by realigning Perry-Worth Road to have a new intersection with Whitestown Parkway. The council unanimously approved spending $585,000 over four years to help with engineering costs.

The town must go through the Metropolitan Planning Organization of Indianapolis to seek funding for the project, which has a total cost estimate of just more than $7.5 million. GRW Engineers will submit the project to MPO for High Safety and Improvement Program funds. If approved for funding, MPO will cover 80 percent of construction costs of the project. The town would have to cover the remaining 20 percent of construction costs, which is just less than $2 million. The town is also responsible for covering all engineering costs and purchasing right of way, which is being donated.

Dan Cutshaw, GRW Engineers vice president, said the Perry-Worth intersection is extremely dangerous.

See Wednesday's Times Sentinel for more on this story.