William R. Mattingly Jr., a loving and generous husband and father, passed away on May 20, 2013, at St. Vincent Hospital.
He was born Sept. 25, 1928, in Indianapolis, to William R. Mattingly and Margaret (Hayden) Mattingly. After the early death of his mother, he was raised by his foster mother, Freida Broderick, and his father.
Bill was a graduate of Washington High School and Butler University. He served in the U.S. Navy aboard the U.S.S. Henderson. He was a teacher, coach and principal in the Indianapolis Public School System, retiring from School #110, where he served as principal from 1969 to 1988. In addition to his professional life, he was an avid, accomplished golfer who also loved reading, traveling and, especially, his family.
Bill is survived by his loving wife of 62 years, Elizabeth Louise (Hagedorn) Mattingly; his children William III (Maureen), Kristine (James) Schroeder, Peter (Ceil), Thomas (Debbie), Mary (Stan) LaBuz, Todd (Lisa), Bret (Toni), and Theresa (Dwight) Stinson; 27 grandchildren; and 19 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Benjamin Mattingly; his foster brothers and their wives, Lawrence (Virginia) Broderick, Charles (Marjorie), and Bernard (Lynn).
Visitation will be from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 23, at St. Alphonsus Liguori Catholic Church, 1870 W. Oak St. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Friday, May 24, at the church, with visitation from 10 a.m. until the time of Mass. Burial will follow at Our Lady of Peace Cemetery in Indianapolis.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the St. Vincent DePaul Food Bank or St. Alphonsus Liguori Catholic Church.
Arrangements have been entrusted to Flanner and Buchanan-Zionsville. Online condolences may be made at www.flannerbuchanan.com.
- John Reynold Paulsrud John Reynold Paulsrud, 72, died at his home in Zionsville on Nov. 21, 2013, surrounded by family, after a courageous seven-month battle with cancer.
- Bill Holmes William "Bill" Holmes, 75, of Whitestown, passed away on Sunday, Dec. 1, 2013, at St. Vincent Hospice in Indianapolis.
- Glenn van de Sandt Glenn van de Sandt, 89, Zionsville, passed away in his home on Friday, Nov. 29, 2013.
- Anne L. Miller Anne Louise Mills-Miller has gone on to be with the Lord on the evening of Nov. 25, 2013.
- Mary June Willey Mary June Willey, age 89, died Tuesday, Oct. 22, in Zionsville. She was the widow of Carroll Dean Willey. Mary was born Feb. 11, 1924, in Crothersville, to Dorothy (Hughes) and Floyd Baringer. She graduated from Shortridge High School in 1942. She an
- Gary W. Moore Gary W. Moore, 82, of Zionsville, died Oct. 16, 2013.
- Lowell Kilgus Lowell Kilgus, 68, of Arcadia, passed away Oct. 19, 2013.
Stanton W. Smith
Stanton W. Smith passed away peacefully surrounded by his loving family Thursday, Oct. 3, 2013, at age 82.
Ray Stone peacefully left us on Friday, Sept. 27, 2013, at age 88.
Terry William Johnson
Terry William Johnson, 70, of Zionsville, died peacefully Sept. 28, 2013, at IU North Hospital.
- More Obituaries Headlines