William R. Mattingly Jr., a loving and generous husband and father, passed away on May 20, 2013, at St. Vincent Hospital.
He was born Sept. 25, 1928, in Indianapolis, to William R. Mattingly and Margaret (Hayden) Mattingly. After the early death of his mother, he was raised by his foster mother, Freida Broderick, and his father.
Bill was a graduate of Washington High School and Butler University. He served in the U.S. Navy aboard the U.S.S. Henderson. He was a teacher, coach and principal in the Indianapolis Public School System, retiring from School #110, where he served as principal from 1969 to 1988. In addition to his professional life, he was an avid, accomplished golfer who also loved reading, traveling and, especially, his family.
Bill is survived by his loving wife of 62 years, Elizabeth Louise (Hagedorn) Mattingly; his children William III (Maureen), Kristine (James) Schroeder, Peter (Ceil), Thomas (Debbie), Mary (Stan) LaBuz, Todd (Lisa), Bret (Toni), and Theresa (Dwight) Stinson; 27 grandchildren; and 19 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Benjamin Mattingly; his foster brothers and their wives, Lawrence (Virginia) Broderick, Charles (Marjorie), and Bernard (Lynn).
Visitation will be from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 23, at St. Alphonsus Liguori Catholic Church, 1870 W. Oak St. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Friday, May 24, at the church, with visitation from 10 a.m. until the time of Mass. Burial will follow at Our Lady of Peace Cemetery in Indianapolis.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the St. Vincent DePaul Food Bank or St. Alphonsus Liguori Catholic Church.
Arrangements have been entrusted to Flanner and Buchanan-Zionsville. Online condolences may be made at www.flannerbuchanan.com.
Lewis L. Davis
Lewis Lee Davis, 77, of Zionsville, died at 10:35 a.m. Tuesday, July 15, 2014, at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis.
- Donovan Oden Donovan C. Oden, 51, of Whitestown, passed away July 18, 2014.
- Robert C. Waite Robert C. Waite, 56, of Zionsville, went to be with the Lord on July 9, 2014.
- Judy Hill Nelson Judy Hill Nelson, 75, of Indianapolis, passed peacefully into heaven at 9 p.m. July 4, 2014, just as the fireworks she loved to watch from a distance were starting to go off.
Alan Paul Gribble passed peacefully at St. Vincent’s Hospice on July 5, 2014, after a long struggle with leukemia.
- Steven Smith Steven P. Smith, 48, of Indianapolis, died June 29, 2014.
- George Lintner George Walter Lintner Jr., 77, Zionsville, passed away July 5, 2014.
- Joseph Jones II Joseph E. Jones II, 65, of Zionsville, passed away on Monday, June 30, in his home.
- Joe T. Alonso Joe T. Alonso, (born Jose Antonio), 87, Zionsville, passed away on June 17, 2014, at the Hearth at Tudor Gardens.
- Julio Cesar Campins Sr. Julio Cesar Campins Sr., 82, of Zionsville, passed away June 16, 2014.
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Lewis L. Davis