William R. Mattingly Jr., a loving and generous husband and father, passed away on May 20, 2013, at St. Vincent Hospital.
He was born Sept. 25, 1928, in Indianapolis, to William R. Mattingly and Margaret (Hayden) Mattingly. After the early death of his mother, he was raised by his foster mother, Freida Broderick, and his father.
Bill was a graduate of Washington High School and Butler University. He served in the U.S. Navy aboard the U.S.S. Henderson. He was a teacher, coach and principal in the Indianapolis Public School System, retiring from School #110, where he served as principal from 1969 to 1988. In addition to his professional life, he was an avid, accomplished golfer who also loved reading, traveling and, especially, his family.
Bill is survived by his loving wife of 62 years, Elizabeth Louise (Hagedorn) Mattingly; his children William III (Maureen), Kristine (James) Schroeder, Peter (Ceil), Thomas (Debbie), Mary (Stan) LaBuz, Todd (Lisa), Bret (Toni), and Theresa (Dwight) Stinson; 27 grandchildren; and 19 great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Benjamin Mattingly; his foster brothers and their wives, Lawrence (Virginia) Broderick, Charles (Marjorie), and Bernard (Lynn).
Visitation will be from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, May 23, at St. Alphonsus Liguori Catholic Church, 1870 W. Oak St. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Friday, May 24, at the church, with visitation from 10 a.m. until the time of Mass. Burial will follow at Our Lady of Peace Cemetery in Indianapolis.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the St. Vincent DePaul Food Bank or St. Alphonsus Liguori Catholic Church.
Arrangements have been entrusted to Flanner and Buchanan-Zionsville. Online condolences may be made at www.flannerbuchanan.com.
- Gail Meyerhoff Gail Meyerhoff, (nee Ricardi), 78, of Zionsville, passed away Thursday, April 3, 2014.
- Indianapolis Nora R. McDonnell Nora Rita Betchley McDonnell, aged 90, of Indianapolis, formerly of Alpharetta and Woodstock, Ga., passed away peacefully March 30, 2014. Rita was born Nov. 1, 1923, in Flushing, N,Y., to the now late Denis and Mary (Moriarity) Hannifin. After gradu
- Kent A. Morris Zionsville Kent A. Morris Kent A. Morris, 48, of Zionsville, passed away March 4, 2014, at St. Vincent Hospice. He was born in Indianapolis on April 11, 1965, to Glen A. and Lynda K. (Israel) Morris. Kent was a graduate of Ben Davis High School and
- Zionsville Robin L. Buckmaster Mr. Robin L. Buckmaster 61, of Zionsville passed away March 27, 2014. Robin is preceded in death by his father Lloyd S. Buckmaster, son Andy Buckmaster, brothers Charles L. Buckmaster and Jeffrey D. Knox. Robin is a lifelong resident of Zionsville in
- Lynn Oden Diantha Lynn Oden, of Zionsville, passed away at 8:28 a.m. on March 15, 2014, at Indiana University Simon Cancer Center.
- Mildred Applegate Mildred Applegate, 89, of Zionsville, passed away March 8, 2014.
- David Andrew Neel David Andrew Neel, 56, passed away on March 7, 2014, at his home in Zionsville.
- Daniel A. Parks Daniel Albert Parks died Thursday, Feb. 27, at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis.
- Sadie M. Updike Sadie Marie Updike was stillborn at Witham Memorial Hospital in Lebanon on Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014. She is the daughter of Kenneth and Rachel Marie (Carter) Updike.
- Stephen D. Knapp Stephen Douglas Knapp, 58, of Paola, Kan., passed away on Friday, Jan. 10, 2014.
- More Obituaries Headlines