On Sunday, Sept. 8, our Lord God called Dorothy Evelyn Carpenter Pock, age 97, home to be with the love of her life, Andy, deceased Dec. 9, 1968. A proud lady, devoted wife, nurturing mother, compassionate grandmother, and gracious friend all describe her best. She was born on May 9, 1916, in Rush County, to William W. Carpenter and Mary Emma Patterson Carpenter. Her siblings were William A. Carpenter, James E. Carpenter (deceased), Ruth VanNatta and Norma Jean "Jackie" Lower. Dorothy graduated from New Salem High School and, soon after, she graduated from Central Business College and attended Indiana University for two years. She later went on to work as the administrative secretary at the IU School of Nursing from 1968 to 1990, at which time she retired. A resident of Zionsville since 1946, Dorothy was especially remembered for her many years as the past president of the Alpha Lambda Chapter Psi Iota Xi, Zionsville Women's Club, Better Home & Hobbies, and Home Builders. She was a member of the Zionsville United Methodist Church, where she taught Sunday school for 15 years. Along with her past club position, Dorothy was very active in the Community Service Band and 4-H. She had a love for basketball and frequently attended Butler University games, her husband's alma mater. She often spread her joy and comfort with her radiant smile and down-home cooking. Dorothy leaves behind two children, Sarah A. Pock and Bill A. Pock; four grandchildren, Erika (James) Terrell, Jessi Pock, Ryan (Kim) Lee, and Nick Lee; and four great-grandchildren, Christian Terrell, James Terrell, Patrick Pock, and Levi Pock. Relatives and friends are welcome to pay tribute at her viewing and/or funeral service held at Flanner & Buchanan, 105 W. Pine St., Zionsville. Viewing will be from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept 12. The funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Thursday, Sept 13, followed by burial at Zionsville Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions are welcome at Hooverwood Nursing Home, 7001 Hoover Rd., Indianapolis, IN 46260. The family wishes to extend their gratitude to the staff at Hooverwood for their care and compassion shown to Dorothy in her final days.
- Lewis L. Davis Lewis L. Davis, 77, of Zionsville, died at 10:35 a.m. Tuesday, July 15, 2014, at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis.
- Donovan Oden Donovan C. Oden, 51, of Whitestown, passed away July 18, 2014.
- Robert C. Waite Robert C. Waite, 56, of Zionsville, went to be with the Lord on July 9, 2014.
- Judy Hill Nelson Judy Hill Nelson, 75, of Indianapolis, passed peacefully into heaven at 9 p.m. July 4, 2014, just as the fireworks she loved to watch from a distance were starting to go off.
Alan Paul Gribble passed peacefully at St. Vincent’s Hospice on July 5, 2014, after a long struggle with leukemia.
- Steven Smith Steven P. Smith, 48, of Indianapolis, died June 29, 2014.
- George Lintner George Walter Lintner Jr., 77, Zionsville, passed away July 5, 2014.
- Joseph Jones II Joseph E. Jones II, 65, of Zionsville, passed away on Monday, June 30, in his home.
- Joe T. Alonso Joe T. Alonso, (born Jose Antonio), 87, Zionsville, passed away on June 17, 2014, at the Hearth at Tudor Gardens.
- Julio Cesar Campins Sr. Julio Cesar Campins Sr., 82, of Zionsville, passed away June 16, 2014.
- More Obituaries Headlines