On Sunday, Sept. 8, our Lord God called Dorothy Evelyn Carpenter Pock, age 97, home to be with the love of her life, Andy, deceased Dec. 9, 1968. A proud lady, devoted wife, nurturing mother, compassionate grandmother, and gracious friend all describe her best. She was born on May 9, 1916, in Rush County, to William W. Carpenter and Mary Emma Patterson Carpenter. Her siblings were William A. Carpenter, James E. Carpenter (deceased), Ruth VanNatta and Norma Jean "Jackie" Lower. Dorothy graduated from New Salem High School and, soon after, she graduated from Central Business College and attended Indiana University for two years. She later went on to work as the administrative secretary at the IU School of Nursing from 1968 to 1990, at which time she retired. A resident of Zionsville since 1946, Dorothy was especially remembered for her many years as the past president of the Alpha Lambda Chapter Psi Iota Xi, Zionsville Women's Club, Better Home & Hobbies, and Home Builders. She was a member of the Zionsville United Methodist Church, where she taught Sunday school for 15 years. Along with her past club position, Dorothy was very active in the Community Service Band and 4-H. She had a love for basketball and frequently attended Butler University games, her husband's alma mater. She often spread her joy and comfort with her radiant smile and down-home cooking. Dorothy leaves behind two children, Sarah A. Pock and Bill A. Pock; four grandchildren, Erika (James) Terrell, Jessi Pock, Ryan (Kim) Lee, and Nick Lee; and four great-grandchildren, Christian Terrell, James Terrell, Patrick Pock, and Levi Pock. Relatives and friends are welcome to pay tribute at her viewing and/or funeral service held at Flanner & Buchanan, 105 W. Pine St., Zionsville. Viewing will be from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept 12. The funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Thursday, Sept 13, followed by burial at Zionsville Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions are welcome at Hooverwood Nursing Home, 7001 Hoover Rd., Indianapolis, IN 46260. The family wishes to extend their gratitude to the staff at Hooverwood for their care and compassion shown to Dorothy in her final days.
- Daniel A. Parks Daniel Albert Parks died Thursday, Feb. 27, at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis.
- Sadie M. Updike Sadie Marie Updike was stillborn at Witham Memorial Hospital in Lebanon on Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014. She is the daughter of Kenneth and Rachel Marie (Carter) Updike.
- Stephen D. Knapp Stephen Douglas Knapp, 58, of Paola, Kan., passed away on Friday, Jan. 10, 2014.
- Pamela Sue Humphreys Pamela Sue Humphreys, 44, of Zionsville, passed away Feb. 2, 2014.
- Scott Brown Scott David Brown, 39, of Indianapolis, passed away Feb. 6, 2014, surrounded by his family and friends.
- Chris Bassler Chris Bassler died peacefully on Friday, Jan. 31, surrounded by those she loved.
- Amy Pearce Amy Isenhower Pearce, 59, died Friday, Jan. 31, 2014, at her home in Zionsville, surrounded by her family.
Priscilla “Billie” Downey
Priscilla “Billie” Wheeler Downey, 96, of Zionsville, passed away Jan. 18, 2014.
Carrie Michelle Beard, 44, of Lebanon, died Friday, Jan. 17, 2014, at Indiana University Simon Cancer Center in Indianapolis.
Kathy Anne Ellis-Inman, of Zionsville, passed away on Jan. 8, 2014.
- More Obituaries Headlines