David Schroer died Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2012.
He was a beloved husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend.
David was born in Frankfort, Ky. and was raised in Louisville. He and his wife, Olivia, and his three daughters lived in Ashland, Ky., Bartlesville, Okla., Dallas, Texas, and Columbus. In 1997, David and his wife Olivia moved to Zionsville. Beginning in 2008 they also spent half of the year living in their home on Anna Maria Island in Florida.
David graduated from the University of Louisville and also went to law school at U of L. He worked as a corporate employee benefits staff attorney for a number of firms including Ashland Oil. He joined the Irwin Union Bank and Trust Co. in Columbus to head their employee benefit trust area. In 1990, David and Olivia started a commercial cleaning business, Jani-King of Indianapolis. He successfully grew the business and managed it until they sold the business in 2007.
David enjoyed traveling, particularly to the national parks and historic sites throughout the country. He also enjoyed playing golf, especially with his friends at his golf club in Florida, Key Royale. David enjoyed walking his dog Mack around the village in Zionsville and spending time with his family, particularly with his six grandchildren. He also took great pleasure in smoking cigars.
David was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer in January 2009. Despite the seriousness of his illness, he was in good health and good spirits for the majority of the time while he was being treated.
The family would like to thank his wonderful team of caregivers, including Dr. Paul Helft and the nurses and other health care providers at the Indiana University Simon Cancer Center, and the caregivers at St. Vincent Hospice.
The family asks that in lieu of flowers, a contribution be made to one of the following organizations:
• Indiana University Simon Cancer Center – to continue to serve families and to help save lives and find a cure (http://www.cancer.iu.edu/giving/); or
• National Parks Foundation – to help support the national parks that David loved to visit (www.nationalparks.org/support-parks#memory).
David is survived by his wife of 45 years, Olivia, and his three daughters, Tracey (Gabriel) Picone, Christy Gregory, and Susan (Zack) Burkle, his sister, Susan Burkley, and his six grandchildren, Emily, Wesley, Lizzy, Will, Sam and Lucy.
A visitation and memorial service was Monday, Oct. 22, at St. Francis in the Fields Episcopal Church, 1525 Mulberry St., Zionsville.
Arrangements entrusted to Flanner and Buchanan-Zionsville. Online condolences may be made at www.flannerbuchanan.com.
- David Andrew Neel David Andrew Neel, 56, passed away on March 7, 2014, at his home in Zionsville.
- Daniel A. Parks Daniel Albert Parks died Thursday, Feb. 27, at St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis.
- Sadie M. Updike Sadie Marie Updike was stillborn at Witham Memorial Hospital in Lebanon on Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014. She is the daughter of Kenneth and Rachel Marie (Carter) Updike.
- Stephen D. Knapp Stephen Douglas Knapp, 58, of Paola, Kan., passed away on Friday, Jan. 10, 2014.
- Pamela Sue Humphreys Pamela Sue Humphreys, 44, of Zionsville, passed away Feb. 2, 2014.
- Scott Brown Scott David Brown, 39, of Indianapolis, passed away Feb. 6, 2014, surrounded by his family and friends.
- Chris Bassler Chris Bassler died peacefully on Friday, Jan. 31, surrounded by those she loved.
- Amy Pearce Amy Isenhower Pearce, 59, died Friday, Jan. 31, 2014, at her home in Zionsville, surrounded by her family.
Priscilla “Billie” Downey
Priscilla “Billie” Wheeler Downey, 96, of Zionsville, passed away Jan. 18, 2014.
Carrie Michelle Beard, 44, of Lebanon, died Friday, Jan. 17, 2014, at Indiana University Simon Cancer Center in Indianapolis.
- More Obituaries Headlines