- Lawmaker, constituent priorities may differ INDIANAPOLIS – Every year at about this time, Statehouse reporters like me ask lawmakers what their priorities will be for the coming year. The more interesting inquiry is made by the people at Ball State University’s Bowen Center for Public Affairs, because they ask Hoosiers what those lawmakers’ priorities should be.
- Doing the freak-out scramble Is it just me, or did shopping season get shorter?
- Tame tantrums by understanding root Temper tantrums — sometimes they give warning they are coming; others storm from out of nowhere.
- There arose such a clatter Clement Clarke Moore may have had reindeer on his mind when he sprang from his bed to see what was the matter. But the clamor today resonates to something not nearly as fun as eight tiny reindeer. The fuss is about an anti-nature ad that Toys“R”Us has created.
Fight on over same-sex marriage
INDIANAPOLIS - Oh, it's on. If there was any doubt that the coming fight over the same-sex marriage ban amendment in Indiana was going to be elevated to the national level, it's gone. On Tuesday, Nov. 26, Mary Cheney, the gay daughter of former Vice
- Smoldering artistic spark rekindled Exposure to the arts community in Zionsville has inspired me.
Helping children behave at Grandma’s
As families gather for Thanksgiving and other holidays, many parents worry whether their children will behave. With one ear tuned to the conversation with relatives and the other for misbehavior, parents have a hard time relaxing. A few tips can free both parents and children to enjoy the day.
Thankful for comfy pants
With the holiday season fully kicked off and running, I think it is high time to pay my respects to the most humble of pants, comfy pants.
Smokers' rights could be heated legislative issue
When Indiana lawmakers return for the 2014 session in early January, they’ll step into the highly charged issue of marriage equality as they debate the proposed amendment that would lock a ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions into the state constitution. But it may not be the only heated debate over government intrusion into people’s private lives.
Burn calories while being thankful
Oh yeah — time for Thanksgiving, and for the last two years I have offered eating tips on how to “manage the damage” of Thanksgiving and holiday eating. Let’s change it up and have some fun answering the question, “How many calories do you burn during a Thanksgiving meal?”
- More Commentary Headlines