at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events:
• Our Heroes’ Tree — Now through Sunday, Dec. 23. The library will partner with the Indiana State Library to present Our Heroes’ Tree. Zionsville residents may drop by the Youth Services Department and create an ornament honoring a service member.
• Hope for Heroes — Now through Sunday, Dec. 16. The library will accept winter wear and personal care items for homeless veterans in conjunction with the Hope for Heroes program.
• Hobbit Adventures for Children — 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 6, grades first through fifth. Celebrate the J.R.R. Tolkien classic. Meet a hobbit who will share the journey of Bilbo Baggins, make a Hobbitish accessory to wear and celebrate Hobbit style with food, fun and music. Dress as an elf, dwarf, hobbit or dragon Smaug.
• Holiday Readers Theater — 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 10, ages 8 through 11. Join in reading some holiday related scripts.
• Gifts from the Kitchen — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 10, grades first through fifth. Join the ladies from Your Gourmet Girlfriends for a night of creating gifts from the kitchen for your friends and family. Test cooking and tasting skills and take home the recipes for extended holiday fun.
• Mrs. Claus and the Musical Elves — 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13, families with children ages 3 and older. Join Laugh’n Laura, Kazoo’n Kelli, Jolly Jessica, Jumpin’ Julie and Jazzin Papa Matt for a time of singing, stories and games. Following the program, meet Cand Carry’n Mrs. Claus for pictures and a hug.
• Saturday morning Chess Club — 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Saturdays, Dec. 8, 15, 22 and 29, for children ages preschool through high school. Join Paul Yearling every Saturday to play chess whether you are an advanced player or just starting out.
• Milk and Cookies Storytime — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. or 1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, Dec. 17, ages 3 through 6. Cozy up with stories, songs and games and enjoy a treat at the end.
• Velveteen Rabbit Read-aloud — 4 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday, Dec. 17, ages 2 and older. Miss Kelli will be reading the classic, “The Velveteen Rabbit” by Marjorie Williams Bianco.
• Single Session Toddler Time — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 20, ages 1 through 2. Walkers and talkers can visit the library to hear stories and sing songs.
• K-Plus — 4:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 20, ages 5 through 6. This program supplements school instruction by engaging children through stories, music, art and other activities.
• Tandem Read Book Club — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 21, Feb. 18, March 18, April 15 and May 20, ages 8 through 12 with an adult. Join the Youth librarians for a new book club. Bring a dish for a pitch-in dinner to eat and discuss the book of the month.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in. for more information.
Vote in the 2014 Z'List awards
The nominations have been counted and the final list is ready. Click here to vote in the 2014 Z'List People's Choice Awards. Winners will be announced in the Feb. 5 issue of the Zionsville Times Sentinel.
Submit a news item
The Zionsville Times Sentinel welcomes story ideas and submissions.
For other news items, please send an email to email@example.com. Pictures should be attached as .jpg files with the names of those pictured identified. Please be sure to include your contact information.
- Donnelly working to keeps Hoosier roots
YAR awards more than $9,600 in grants
Youth as Resources Boone County, a program of the United Way of Central Indiana, has awarded more than $9,600 to fund community service projects designed and implemented by local youth.
More than 30 children participated in a painting lesson Saturday, March 16, at the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library in honor of Youth Art Month.
- ZCS calendar for Jan. 23
Chinese classes prepare for New Year celebration
Students in Chinese classes prepare for a Chinese New Year celebration, which will be from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, in the Zionsville Performing Arts Center, 1000 Mulberry St.
Schillaci represents Zionsville at Lugar symposium
Zionsville Community High School junior Dixie Schillaci represented the school at the 2012 Sen. Richard Lugar Symposium, which was at the University of Indianapolis.
Norfleet attends olympic soccer game
Evie Norfleet, a sixth-grader at Zionsville Middle School, attended the USWNT Olympic Victory Tour Soccer game in Chicago against No. 2 Germany last year.
Tea for the rich and famous
U.S. History students dressed as famous people during the Progressive Era and discussed the 1912 election at a political tea
- More Community Headlines
- Vote in the 2014 Z'List awards