Click for 2014 Primary results
Click HERE for Boone County primary election results.
VIDEO: Meet the primary candidates
Each year, the Zionsville Times Sentinel publishes information on candidates for the primary election. Below you will find a list of each candidate's qualifications, as well as videos showing their responses to questions relating to their office.
The following is a partial list of duties for the offices up for election:
Superior Court II
Indiana has 143 Superior Courts. Judges run under party banners for six-year terms. Superior Courts have roughly the same powers as Circuit Courts to try any kind of case, aind includes small claims and minor offense divisions.
- Conservator of the peace
- Take charge of the county jail and its prisoners.
- Serve warrants, subpoenas and other forms of process
- Collect delinquent state income taxes
- Sell mortgaged property
- Attend sessions of th County Council and Commissioners
Board of Commissioners has three members from three districts serving four year, staggered terms.
- Controling, cmaintaining and supervising county property.
- Auditing and authorizing claims.
- Receiving bids and authorizing contracts.
- Supervising construction and maintenance of roads and bridges.
- Issuing bonds or notes (with county council approval)
- Recommending county salaries to the county council
- Establishing animal shelters
The council has the financial power and serves as a check to the Board of Commissioners. The county is divided in to four districts, with one member from each district and three at large.
- Fix the tax rate and impose the tax levy
- Make appropriations to be paid by the county treasury
- Reappropriate surplus fund
- Fix salaries of officers, deputies assistants and other employees
SOURCE: Here is Your Indiana Government
Vote in the 2014 Z'List awards
The nominations have been counted and the final list is ready. Click here to vote in the 2014 Z'List People's Choice Awards. Winners will be announced in the Feb. 5 issue of the Zionsville Times Sentinel.
Submit a news item
The Zionsville Times Sentinel welcomes story ideas and submissions.
For other news items, please send an email to email@example.com. Pictures should be attached as .jpg files with the names of those pictured identified. Please be sure to include your contact information.
- Donnelly working to keeps Hoosier roots
YAR awards more than $9,600 in grants
Youth as Resources Boone County, a program of the United Way of Central Indiana, has awarded more than $9,600 to fund community service projects designed and implemented by local youth.
More than 30 children participated in a painting lesson Saturday, March 16, at the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library in honor of Youth Art Month.
- ZCS calendar for Jan. 23
Chinese classes prepare for New Year celebration
Students in Chinese classes prepare for a Chinese New Year celebration, which will be from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, in the Zionsville Performing Arts Center, 1000 Mulberry St.
Schillaci represents Zionsville at Lugar symposium
Zionsville Community High School junior Dixie Schillaci represented the school at the 2012 Sen. Richard Lugar Symposium, which was at the University of Indianapolis.
- More Community Headlines
- Click for 2014 Primary results