Lady Eagles play for Rachael
It was an emotional week for the Zionsville girls soccer team as the girls coped with the loss of former teammate and friend Rachael Fiege on Saturday, Aug. 24. After a tough 1-0 loss to Avon Monday, Aug. 26, in the days immediately following Fiege's death, the Eagles came together with a 4-0 win against McCutcheon Thursday, Aug. 29, and were ahead 1-0 against Brownsburg Saturday, Aug. 31, before the game was postponed due to lightning.
Eagles continue perfect start
Western Boone and Zionsville’s volleyball teams both came into Tuesday night’s Boone County showdown with unblemished records in the 2013 season.
It was the host Eagles who would leave the gym still unbeaten, topping the Class 3A No. 13 Stars 25-23, 25-17, 19-25, 25-23 to improve to 4-0 on the season.
McCutcheon surges past Zionsville
The Zionsville Eagles football team got off to a solid start Friday, Aug. 30, in their game against McCutcheon.
But as the game went on, into Saturday because of the weather, things got progressively worse. After trailing 10-6 at the half, the third-ranked Eagles were out-scored 20-0 in the final 24 minutes and fell to the Mavericks for the first time since 2002, 30-6.
- Eagles 'D' strong in season opener Last year’ season opener between Zionsville and Lafayette Jeff was a high scoring affair with a combined 61 points. A year later the teams met one more time in Hoosier Crossroads Conference play and it was time for the defenses to take center stage.
- Lady Eagles blast Bronchos on the pitch The third-ranked Zionsville Lady Eagles soccer team had no problems in their season opener Wednesday night, Aug. 21. The Eagles took a 1-0 lead mere minutes into the match on a goal by Katy Keen, then continued to score seemingly at will in a 13-0 rout of HCC foe Lafayette Jefferson.
- Volleyball team starts season 3-0 The Zionsville volleyball team has gotten off to a strong start this season. In their opening match, Aug. 20, the Eagles downed University in three sets, 25-10, 25-13, 25-11.
- Highly-ranked Eagles start season on Friday The Zionsville Eagles football team lost their quarterback and top wide receiver off a sectional finalist team from a year ago, but that doesn't mean the expectations aren't high in southern Boone County. The Eagles are ranked fourth in the new Class 5A in the pre-season poll and open up the season this Friday, Aug. 23 against Lafayette Jefferson.
- Eagles volleyball building on last year's experience The Zionsville Lady Eagles volleyball team went through some growing pains last season with very little varsity experience from the year before. But this season, they will not be a problem. Nearly all the key pieces for Zionsville are back from a season ago, and head coach Dawn Jones' squad is ready to make a run at the conference and sectional titles.
- Boys tennis team ready to avenge last season's sectional Last year's season-ending loss to Lebanon left a bitter taste in the mouths of the Zionsville boys tennis team. This year, with virtually the entire team back, the Eagles are focused on re-establishing their place in the ranks of the HCC and sectional.
Zionsville golf continues strong start to season
If the first week of the regular season is any indicator on how the rest of the season will go, the Zionsville Lady Eagles golf team may be in-line for a special season.
Although their tournament win streak came to an end Saturday, Aug. 10 afternoon at the extremely tough Trojan Classic at the Legends of Indiana, the Eagles shot a program best score at the state tournament site, 308, and placed second in an event that featured 13-ranked teams and seven in the top-10.
- More Sports Headlines
- Lady Eagles play for Rachael