BCSSI sponsors events
Boone County Senior Services Inc. has scheduled the following upcoming classes and events:
• Independent Consultation Computer Class — 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, Jan. 16, 23 and 30, in the narthex of Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road. Cost is $20.
• Cards — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 16, 23 and 30, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Bridge and euchre will be played.
• Fun and Fit for Over 50 — 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Thursdays, Jan. 17, 24 and 31, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St.
• Art Class — 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 22 and 29, at the Boys and Girls Club. Cost is $5.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 24, to the Tippecanoe Mall.
• Lunch and Learn — noon to 1 p.m. Friday, Jan. 25.
BCSSI can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has a location at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
The monthly Zionsville Emerging Professionals will meet from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 16, at Carolina Grill, 7629 W. Stonegate Dr.
Tobacco Free Boone County, 116 W. Washington St., will host free stop smoking classes Thursdays, Jan. 17, 24 and 31.
The classes will be from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Attendees will learn new coping skills and meet others trying to quit.
Call 765-482-3942 option 6 for more information.
Library plans events
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Animal Adventures: Owls — 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday, Jan. 18, ages 3 to 6 with a parent. The librarians and the naturalists from the Zion Nature Center come together to share stories, activities and real animals.
• Safe Sitter Class — 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, ages 11 to 13. Cost $55. This course teaches babysitters how to be safe caregivers and handle emergencies. Bring a sack lunch.
• Lego Mania! — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. for ages 3 to 6, or 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. for grades first through fifth, Monday, Jan. 21. Make a creation the library’s huge collection of Legos. Build alone, or work with a friend.
• Tandem Read Book Club — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 21, Feb. 18, March 18, April 15 and May 20, ages 8 through 12 with an adult.
• K-Plus: Warm Up by the Sea — 4:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 24, ages 5 and 6.
• Read, Build, Play with Duplos: Busy Farm — 6:30 p.m. 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 28, ages 3 through 6.
• Percy Jackson: Adventures in being a Demigod — 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 29, for tweens in grades fourth and fifth. Learn about Greek myths, gods, demigods and monsters.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in. for more information.
The Zion Nature Center offers the following upcoming events:
• Animal Adventures: Owls — 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday, Jan. 18, ages 3 through 6. Meet at the library.
• Live Birds of Prey — 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, ages 6 and older. Mark Booth of Take Flight Wildlife Education and his birds of prey will be at the center. Get a close look at hawks, falcons and other birds of prey. The program will take place at Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St.
• Cub Scout Workshop: Naturalist Badge — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 24, Cub Scouts. Visit the center to fulfill five requirements needed to obtain the Webelos Naturalist badge. Scouts will learn about bird identification, bird flyways, poisonous plants, venomous reptiles and other animals. Registration is required.
The nature center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org for more information.
The Woman’s Club of Zionsville will have its annual meeting at 11:30 a.m. Friday, Jan. 18, at Zionsville Fellowship Church, 9090 W. Oak St.
Chamber awards banquet is Jan. 25
The Zionsville Chamber of Commerce Awards Banquest will be 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, Jan. 25, at Palomino Ballroom, 481 S. County Road 1200 East, Zionsville.
Call 873-3836 to make reservations for this event featuring a cocktail hour, music, speaker Rep. Steve Braun, dinner and a silent auction. The public is welcome.
at art center
The Indianapolis Children’s Choir will perform at 7 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, at the Sugar Creek Art Center, 127 S. Pearl St., Thorntown.
The Boone County Regional Choir, Lebanon ensemble, and Kantorei Ensemble will also perform at the concert.
Admission is free, but an offering will be taken to help with the costs of the program and facility usage.
Call 765-436-7102 for more information.
BCCAC offers free program
The Boone County Child Advocacy Center will offer a free child sexual abuse prevention program for parents and adults who work with children.
The program will be from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Feb. 4, at Thorntown Public Library, 24 N. Market St., Thorntown.
The training is free due to a grant from the Community Foundation of Boone County.
Chaucie’s Place will work in conjunction with the center to present the program, which will teach adults how to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse.
Call 759-8008 or email email@example.com for more information.
registration begins Feb. 5
Preschool registration for fall enrollment in the Early Childhood Ministry at Christ Church, 600 County Road 1000 East, will begin at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 5.
The program now accepts toddlers who will be 15 months old by Sept. 1.
Call Laurie Highsmith at 873-3232 or visit www.zionsvillelutheran.org/index.php/preschool/purpose for more information.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.