Programs at the nature center upcoming
The Zion Nature Center, 690 Beech St., will have several classes and events this month. Call the Nature Center at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenter.org for more information or to register for classes/camps.
• Animal Adventures: Woodpeckers — 1 to 2 p.m. Friday, Feb. 27, ages 3 to 6. Learn fact and fiction about woodpeckers. Meet at the library at 1 p.m. for storytime then walk to the Zion Nature Center to learn some interesting facts about woodpeckers.
• Miss Diane’s Puppet Show — 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 28, ages 2 and up. Enjoy this fun nature-themed puppet show about Peter Rabbit and his mischievous antics as he prepares for spring. A presentation by Diane Breier and her puppet pals. Free.
Library features events
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., has several upcoming events. Registration is required for each children’s class and some adult programs. Call 873-3149 to register.
• AARP Tax Aide — 1 to 4 p.m. Thursdays now through April 9, Lora Hussey and Olive Hoffman rooms. Taxpayers age 60 and older, as well as low-and middle-income earners, may visit the library for free income tax help on a first-come, first-served basis. No reservations accepted. A list of required documents is available at the teen and adult reference desk or by calling 873-8341.
• Computer Classes — Single session, hands-on, three-hour computer classes, $25.50 each, in the Computer Lab. Intro to Publisher, 9:30 a.m. Monday, March 2; Intro. to PowerPoint, 9:30 a.m. Monday, March 9.; Intermediate Excel, 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 10; Intro to PowerPoint, 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 24; and Advanced Excel, 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 7.
• Paws to Read — 4 p.m. Tuesday, March 3, ages 6 to 10. Share a book with a furry four-legged friend from Thera-Pets of Indiana. Register for your 15 minutes.
• Irish Snapshots — 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Tuesday, March 3, Lora Hussey Room. In a salute to St. Patrick’s Day, Irish composers and Irish-themed music will be featured in this informal music appreciation event, which includes listening to and discussing rarely heard classical and jazz recordings.
Bluebird Society to meet
The Boone County Bluebird Society will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 25, at the Boone REMC Community Room, 1207 Indianapolis Ave., Lebanon. The group will discuss how to attract bluebirds, monitor the boxes, and deal with challenges. Literature and nesting boxes will be available. Open to the public. Call 769-3416 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.
ZEF hosts luncheon and fashion show
Tickets are on sale for the Zionsville Education Foundation’s third annual “In Style” luncheon and fashion show Thursday, Feb. 26, at Boone Meadow School. Tickets are $50 and include a catered lunch from Sweet & Savory, a fashion show with clothing from Ballerinas and Bruisers, Charisma!, Wildcat Creek Outfitters and The Secret Ingredient.
Call the ZEF office at 733-4805 or visit zionsvilleeducationfoundation.org for tickets and additional information.
Freemasons schedule degree dinner
All Masons with entered apprentice or higher degrees are welcome to a dinner at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 26, at the Charles F. Frank No. 760 Free and Accepted Masons, 106 N. Ninth St. A free will donation is encouraged. Call Kenneth Caldwell at 873-2794 or Masons’ headquarters at 873-2609 for more information.
SullivanMunce offers programs, activities
The SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., offers several upcoming events. Call the center at 873-4900 or visit www.sullivanmunce.org for more information.
• “The Art of Love” exhibit now open at KellarMahaney Gallery, 270 S. Main St. Local amateur and professional artists who participated in the First Come, First Hung event showcase their artwork now until Saturday, Feb. 28.
• Boone County artists are invited to submit a piece of artwork depicting gardens. The winning entry will be used on signs, banners, invitations and advertising to promote “The Gardens of Zionsville” the weekend of June 13 and 14. Artwork must be delivered to the SullivanMunce Cultural Center by Saturday, Feb. 28; the winner will be chosen on Monday, March 2.
Caregivers need care, too
A program of information on Alzheimer’s disease for caregivers will take place from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 28, at Zionsville Meadows, 675 S. Ford Road. The reigning Miss Indiana, Megan Meadors, an Alzheimer’s spokesperson, will be on hand. In addition to hearing from representatives of the Alzheimer’s Association and the Sollievo Azheimer’s Care Group, attendees will get information on stress relief, financial planning, life coaching, and adult day care. They also may receive hand massages. Refreshments and adult day care will be provided.
Call Zionsville Meadows at 873-5205 for more information.
ZPC holds coat drive for Julian Center
Zionsville Presbyterian Church is collecting gently used light jackets and winter coats for all ages, for use by families at the Julian Center, (http://www.juliancenter.org), which serves women and their children who have fled domestic violence, sexual assault, and other life crises.
ZPC will collect the coats at a truck parked near the main entrance of the church, 4775 W. 116th St., from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 28, and 8 a.m. to noon Sunday, March 1. Call the church at 873-6503 or visit its Web site: http://www.zpc.org.
Last call for Life Skills sign-up
Registration for the spring series of Life Skills for women classes ends Feb. 28. Classes will begin March 2 and continue through April 2 on Mondays and Thursdays. If there is sufficient enrollment, both morning and evening classes will be held. If not, classes will be in the evenings.
Evening classes will be from 6-9 p.m. at Witham Hospital and will include a box supper. Morning classes, if necessary, will be at Trinity Lutheran Church from 9 a.m. to noon with light refreshments. Classes are free, and baby-sitting is provided. Transportation may be arranged if needed.
Topics will range from assertiveness, nutrition, personal health, money management, child management, self advocacy, legal rights, coping with crisis and re-entry into the job market.
Call 482-2396 or 436-7098 for more information or to register.
Garden Club meets, announces grants
The Village Garden Club will meet at 10 a.m. Tuesday, March 3, in the Hussey Room of the Hussey Mayfield Memorial Public Library. The program will feature slides of spring and summer wildflowers, presented by the Indiana Native Plant and Wildflower Society. Guests are welcome.
In addition, the club is accepting applications for grants of up to $250 for the beautification of public areas in Zionsville. Contact Marcia Meury, club president, at 873-9274 by Feb. 28.
4-H scholarship deadline is March 1
Boone County 4-H members who are seniors in high school are reminded that all 4-H scholarship applications are due in the Extension Office no later than Sunday, March 1. Applications may be obtained from the Extension Office, 1300 East 100 South, Lebanon, and on its Web site, www.ibccn.org/ces. Call Tony Carrell at (765) 482-0750 for more information.
Order Easter eggs now
Psi Iota Xi, a local volunteer organization, is taking orders for chocolate Easter eggs now. Each egg is handmade using four ounces of peanut butter, maple cream or butter cream, then covered with milk chocolate. The eggs are $2.50 each. Each egg is individually wrapped for gift giving. Call Kristen Woodworth at 873-0966 to place your order by Tuesday, March 3.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements will run at least once, and may run additional times, if space provides. If a specific date for the announcement to run is preferred, it should be so noted with the announcement at the time of submission.
Programs at the nature center upcoming
- Community Calendar from March 5, 2014 Community Calendar from March 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014
- More Calendar Headlines