• Great Blue Herons — 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, March 7 and 8, ages 5 and older. Come to a program and learn more about these elegant birds which are native to Indiana. Free.
• Trash to Craft — 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, March 14 and 15, all ages. Learn creative ways to recycle those old crayons, puzzles, cardboard and more. Free.
Library hosts activities
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., has several upcoming events. Registration is required for each children’s class and some adult programs. Call 873-3149 to register.
• Maple Sugaring — 4 p.m. Thursday, March 5, grades 1 through 5. Students will serve in three roles in this tasty, hands-on learning program. First, they’ll be naturalists who follow the process for making real maple syrup, from tree to table. Next, they’ll cook up mouth-watering pancakes. Finally, they’ll be taste-testers, the most fun of all. A variety of syrups will be sampled on those hot pancakes.
• Feet, Feet, Feet — 4 p.m. Friday, March 6, ages 4 to 7. Join us to celebrate Dr. Seuss by getting on our feet and dancing, stomping and painting. Oh, the feet we’ll meet.
• Civil War Love Letter Quilt — 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, March 8, Lora Hussey Room. Words on cloth warmed the bodies and hearts of many Civil War soldiers. Now, attendees may learn how to recreate the lost art of the Civil War love letter quilt while hearing about the history and touching tales behind them. Instructor Bonnie Carter will lead participants to build a sample, hand-sewn quilt block. All materials provided for this Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial program.
• Books over Coffee — noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday, March 10, Olive Hoffman Room. Take a break, bring a sack lunch and join other book lovers to talk about favorite authors and the latest novels. This drop-in, informal group meets the second Tuesday of each month. Coffee and treats are provided.