• The Turtles are Awake — 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, April 4 and 5, all ages. The turtles are out of hibernation and ready for spring. Come meet our resident box turtles, learn some facts and observe their hungry appetites. Free, with optional turtle crafts.
• Closed for Easter — The Nature Center will be closed on Easter Sunday, April 12.
• Z’GreenFest — 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday, April 19, all ages. Celebrate Earth and Arbor Day at the third annual Z’GreenFest. Enjoy live music from “Island Breezes,” interactive activities for children, educational exhibitors, “Silly Safaris” with a live animal program, and food from Dellulo’s Italian Bistro. In case of rain, the event will take place in the Eagle Elementary gym. Free.
• Animal Adventures: Frogs — 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, April 24, ages 3 to 6. The librarians from the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library and the naturalists from the nature center join together to share stories and facts about frogs. Meet at the library at 1 p.m. for storytime and then walk to the nature center to learn interesting facts, see a live frog and take a walk around the wetlands to look for tadpoles and frogs. Free.
• Caller ID — 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, April 25 and 26, all ages. It’s that time of year again and the frogs are calling. Learn some interesting facts about Indiana’s frogs and how to identify their specific calls. Meet “Slick,” our resident bullfrog, and join us for a short hike to the wetlands where we will listen to and look for more frogs. Free.
Gardenfest 2009 set for April 4
Are you ready for spring? The Boone County Master Gardeners are busy making preparations for another Gardenfest.
The event will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, April 4, at the Boone County 4-H Fairgrounds in Lebanon. Free tree seedlings will be given to guests as long as available. Free seminars are scheduled each hour for valuable tips and strategies for your landscapes and vegetable gardens. Browse for gardening gifts at the many outstanding vendor booths.