The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., has a number of upcoming events. Registration is required for each children’s class and some adult programs. Call 873-3149 to register.
• Wii Play Games — 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 12, and Wednesday, Dec. 10. Come play games in the Teen Area at the library. The Wii will be set up and board games will be out, too. Open to students in grades six through 12.
• Turkey Trouble — 10 a.m. or 1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 14 for ages 3 to 6. Make a turkey at the library that won’t get eaten on Thanksgiving (parental assistance required). Registration is required.
• Geronimo Stilton Book Discussion — 4 p.m. Monday, Nov. 17, grades one to three. Enjoy the exciting world of newspaper publishing and solve a few mysteries with Geronimo Stilton. Enjoy these fast-paced reads and come prepared to design your own “front page.” Registration is required.
• Animal Adventure Series: Animals in Winter — 1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 21. Ages 3 to 6 with a parent. Meet at the library for storytime fun and then walk to the Nature Center to learn about the real animals that live there. Registration is required.
• Bone Appetit — 4 p.m. Monday, Nov. 24, ages 6 to 10. Make homemade doggy bones to give as holiday gifts to our TheraPets and take a few home for your pooch. Registration is required.
Zion Nature Center
The Zion Nature Center, 690 Beech St., will have several classes and events this month. Call the nature center at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenter.org for more information or to register for classes.
• Bat Encounters — 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 14, all ages. The Carmel Wild Birds Unlimited store and the Zion Nature Center join together to host the Organization for Bat Conservation. These professional bat researchers from Michigan have been guests on many popular TV shows. Come for an exciting and educational program and an opportunity to see some of the largest and rarest bats in the world up close and personal. This free program will take place in the community room at Zionsville Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St. and is sponsored by the Zionsville Kiwanis Club.
• Gorgeous Gourds — 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 15 and 16, ages 7 and older. Learn how to decorate gourds. This nature-inspired craft can be used for fall and Thanksgiving decorations. Cost is $3 and includes all supplies.
• Wild about Turkeys — 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 22 and 23, all ages. Learn cool facts about wild turkeys and create your own turkey craft to take home. Free.
• Nature Center closed — Friday and Saturday, Nov. 28 and 29.
Church schedules blood drive
A blood drive will take place from 8 a.m. to noon Sunday, Nov. 16, in the Fellowship Hall at Christ Church, the Lutheran Church of Zionsville, 600 N. Ford Road. Call 873-3242 for more information.
Newcomers and Friends to meet
Zionsville Newcomers and Friends will have its November Coffee at 9:30 a.m. Monday, Nov. 17, at the home of Karen Edney. Teesie Slack is co-host. The event is casual; come for the entire time or part of it. Bring a friend or neighbor. Call Susan Groen at 873-2755 for questions directions.
The Zionsville Chamber of Commerce will have an open board meeting at 8 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 19, at the Lions Club, 115 S. Elm St. Matt Price will be the guest speaker. Chamber members and public are welcome.
Friends of the Library to meet
The Friends of the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library will meet at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 19, in the library’s Lora Hussey program room. Open to the public. Call Maria Wopshall at 873-2041 for more information.
The Z’Friends ladies social group will meet for lunch Thursday, Nov. 20, at LA Cafe in Whitestown. A carpool will leave the Marsh parking lot in Boone Village at 11:30 a.m. Call Diane for reservations or carpooling at 733-2980.
Enter the ‘Gingerbread Houses on Parade’ contest
Entries are being accepted at the SullivanMunce for the annual Museum Guild ‘Gingerbread on Parade’ contest. Design and create your own house, building or original design. All ages welcome. Entry forms are available at the museum, 225 W. Hawthorne St. or at www.sullivanmunce.org. Deadline for pre-registration is Wednesday, Nov. 26. Deliver creations to the museum on Thursday and Friday, Dec. 4 and 5. Judging will be on Saturday, Dec. 6. View the gingerbread houses between Saturday, Dec. 6, and Thursday, Dec. 18, at the museum.
Call Ruth Eskilson at 733-8774 for more information.
Lions Club fruit sale under way
Enjoy Florida Indian River grapefruit, Florida naval oranges, Washington red delicious apples or Washington yellow delicious apples from the 20th Annual Lions Club Scholarship fruit sale going on now. Place orders online until Wednesday, Nov. 26, at www.zionsvillelions.com or with an order form from any Lions Club member. All proceeds support the $3,000 Zionsville Lions Club Scholarship awarded to an outstanding service-minded student from Zionsville Community High School. Call 873-5540 for more information.
for library’s annual Holiday Stroll
Help create a festive atmosphere at the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Library during the annual Holiday Stroll, Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 6 and 7. Teen and adult volunteers are needed for two- and four-hour shifts. Time may be applied to National Honor Society requirements. Share holiday cheer with neighbors by registering with Marilyn Martin at 873-3149, extension 12452 by Monday, Dec. 1.
Enjoy breakfast with Santa
Begin the Christmas season at Tri Kappa’s annual Breakfast with Santa Saturday, Dec. 6, at Pleasant View Elementary School, 4700 S. County Road 975 East. Enjoy a hot breakfast, a visit and picture with Santa, crafts and more. Seatings are at 8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.; tickets are $8 per person.
Call Jane Becker at 733-1074 for reservations by Tuesday, Dec. 2.
Toy Drive accepting
The Annual Boone County Toy Drive is accepting new and gently-used toys, clothes, food, including meat and poultry, and monetary donations to help bring Christmas to children and families in the area. Items may be taken to the home of Myrtle Bailey, drive chairwoman, at 407 E. Fordice St., Lebanon. They may also be dropped off at the Lebanon and Zionsville Fire departments.
Checks may be made out to Boone County Toy Drive and sent to Bailey’s address. Parents who would like to request Christmas for their children should call her at (765) 482-4641.
‘Food for Fines’
Area families in need will benefit from overdue books thanks to Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library’s ‘Food for Fines’ program. With the Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana experiencing a drop in donations, the library will again offer to clear $1 in overdue fines for every item donated to Gleaners. Zionsville residents may drop-off non-perishable food, cleaning supplies and toiletries at the circulation desk through Saturday, Dec. 20. No glass containers or sample sizes. Call 873-3149 or go to www.zionsville.lib.in.us for more information.
Meals on Wheels
The Zionsville Chapter of Boone County Meals on Wheels has openings for drivers on its route to serve residents living within a three-mile radius of Zionsville Meadows Retirement Center, 675 Ford Road. The program offers a hot lunch delivery each weekday to individuals who, because of illness, disability or age, can no longer manage food preparation themselves. Call Joyce at 873-4094 or Catherine Simmers at 873-6159 for more information.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements will run at least once, and may run additional times, if space provides. If a specific date for the announcement to run is preferred, it should be so noted.
- Community Calendar from March 5, 2014 Community Calendar from March 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014
- More Calendar Headlines