Aquatic Center announces winter/spring schedule
The Zionsville Aquatic Center, 1000 Mulberry St., has announced its winter/spring aquatic programming.
Private lessons, semi-private lessons, small group lessons, AquaFit classes, lifeguard classes, triathlon clinics and adult classes are some of the programs offered.
Visit www.zionsvilleeaglerec.com for class information and pricing.
Tickets on sale
for comedy show
Tickets are now on sale for Second City’s Laughing Matters, sponsored by Zionsville Band and Orchestra Patrons.
The show is at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 8, at the Zionsville Performing Arts Center, 1000 Mulberry St. The cost is $15 in advance, $20 at the door.
Tickets are available at Marsh Supermarket in Boone Village, at www.tix.com, or by calling 873-3355, ext. 12940.
BCSSI sponsors events
Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has a location at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
• Independent Consultation Computer Class — 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, Jan. 23 and 30, in the Narthex of Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road. Cost is $20.
• Cards — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 23 and 30, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Bridge and euchre will be played.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 24, to the Tippecanoe Mall. Meet at BCSSI in Lebanon for departure. Call BCSSI for more information or to sign-up prior to departure.
• Fun and Fit for Over Fifty — 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Thursdays, Jan. 24 and 31, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St.
• Lunch and Learn — noon to 1 p.m. Friday, Jan. 25. Witham Health Services will discuss a variety of topics concerning senior health and wellness. Lunch, which is free to the first 30 registrants, will be provided by Witham Health Services.
• Art Class — 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 29, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Cost is $5.
• Reception — 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 30. A reception for retiring executive director Sue Ritz and welcoming new executive director Anita Bowen. Refreshments will be catered by Country Garden Catering. This event is free and open to the public.
offered Jan. 23
The Boone County Health Department is offering a flu clinic from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 23, at the Boone County Office Building, 116 W. Washington St., Lebanon.
For adults, the flu vaccine costs $20, high dose flu is $30 and the pneumonia vaccine is $60. The flu vaccine is $10 for children 6 months through 18 years old. The nasal flu mist is available for children ages 2 to 18 for $10. Children’s vaccines are provided by the Vaccines for Children’s Governmental Program and are intended for children who have no insurance coverage for vaccinations or current Medicaid recipients.
Payment options are cash, check, credit card or Medicare part B.
Flu shots are also available to homebound county residents by calling 765-482-3942 option 3. Visit www.boonecounty.in.gov/health for more information.
The Zionsville American Legion Post No. 79 offers bingo at 6:30 p.m. every Thursday.
All are welcome. Bingo will be at the legion, 9950 East County Road 600 South.
Tobacco Free Boone County, 116 W. Washington St., Lebanon, will host free stop smoking classes Thursdays, Jan. 24 and 31.
The classes will be from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Attendees will learn new coping skills and meet others trying to quit.
Call 765-482-3942 option 6 for more information.
at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• K-Plus: Warm Up by the Sea — 4:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 24, ages 5 and 6. Got the winter blues? Come warm up with some after-school fun “by the sea” and read, craft, snack, and sing about ocean animals.
• Read, Build, Play with Duplos: Busy Farm — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 28, ages 3 through 6. The Read, Build, Play program is a one-of-a-kind experience that combines reading and building with Lego Duplo bricks. A Parent-Child interactive story and playtime.
• Percy Jackson: Adventures in being a Demigod — 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Tuesday, Jan. 29, for tweens in grades fourth and fifth. Learn about Greek myths, gods, goddesses, demigods and monsters. Train for an epic battle at Camp Half-Blood and explore the world of Percy Jackson through crafts, theater and food.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in. for more information.
The Zion Nature Center offers the following upcoming events:
• Cub Scout Workshop: Naturalist Badge — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 24, Cub Scouts. Visit the center to fulfill five requirements needed to obtain the Webelos Naturalist badge. Scouts will learn about bird identification, bird flyways, poisonous plants, venomous reptiles and other animals. Registration is required.
• Wonderful World of Birds — 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, ages 7 and older. Join Rob Ripma for a program about the world of birds. In addition to exploring backyard birds, learn how to identify the common birds of Indiana and learn basic binocular skills.
• Hiking in a Winter Wonderland — 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27. Enjoy a guided winter hike and cup of hot chocolate back at the center.
The nature center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org for more information.
Community lunch slated for Jan. 26
The Zionsville Christian Church, 120 N. Ninth St., will serve a free community lunch from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26. All are welcome. Call 714-4982 for a ride or a carry-out meal.
at art center
The Indianapolis Children’s Choir will perform at 7 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, at the Sugar Creek Art Center, 127 S. Pearl St., Thorntown.
The Boone County Regional Choir, Lebanon ensemble, and Kantorei Ensemble will also perform at the concert.
Admission is free, but an offering will be taken to help with the costs of the program and facility usage.
Call 765-436-7102 for more information.
Traders Point Academy sets meetings
Traders Point Christian Academy, 6600 Indianapolis Road, Whitestown, will have two Kindergarten Roundups at 8:45 a.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 30.
Kindergarten Round Up is a free informational event that allows parents the chance to learn about TPCA’s Kindergarten program options by hearing directly from teachers and parents of students.
Parents attending the morning session will also experience the Elementary Chapel service.
No pre-registration is required to attend, and no childcare is available. Facility tours will be offered. Call 769-2450 or visit www.tpcs.org for more information.
Women’s Self Defense Training course is available from Feb. 4 to March 25 for women in grades ninth through 12th.
The class meets from 8 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. Mondays in the Zionsville Middle School North Gymnasium, 900 Ford Road. The cost is $36.75.
The eight week course will assist in preparing college bound women with focus on personal protection and self-defense.
Women will learn types of awareness, prevention, risk reduction, physical power, and how to reduce their chances of becoming a crime victim.
Parents are encouraged to attend course sessions. Dress code is normal school clothing and shoes.
The Boone County Child Advocacy Center will offer a free child sexual abuse prevention program for parents and adults who work with children.
The program will be from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Feb. 4, at Thorntown Public Library, 24 N. Market St., Thorntown.
The training is free due to a grant from the Community Foundation of Boone County.
Chaucie’s Place will work in conjunction with the center to present the program, that will teach adults how to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse.
Call 759-8008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
begins Feb. 5
Preschool registration for fall enrollment in the Early Childhood Ministry at Christ Church, 600 County Road 1000 East, will begin at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 5.
ECM uses a Christ-centered developmentally appropriate curriculum that upholds the basic early childhood concept that all young children learn best when they use their senses.
New this year is the acceptance of toddlers who are 15 months old by Sept. 1.
Call Laurie Highsmith at 873-3232 or visit www.zionsvillelutheran.org/index.php/preschool/purpose for more information.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.
- Community calendar from Dec. 4, 2013 Community calendar from Dec. 4, 2013
Community Calendar from Nov. 27, 2013
Community Calendar from Nov. 27, 2013
- Community Calendar from Nov. 20. 2013
- Community calendar for Nov. 13, 2013
- Community calendar for Nov. 6, 2013
- Community Calendar from Oct. 30, 2013 Woman's Club to meet Friday The Zionsville Woman's Club will meet at 1 p.m. Friday, Nov. 1. Refer to the club yearbook for location. Changes to the by-laws will be voted on, so attendance is strongly encouraged by all active members to reach
- Community calendar for Oct. 23, 2013
- Community calendar for Oct. 16, 2013
Community Calendar for Oct. 9, 2013
Community Calendar for Oct. 9, 2013
- Community Calendar for Sept. 25, 2013
- More Calendar Headlines