Tri Kappa scholarships available
The Zionsville chapter of Tri Kappa has scholarship applications available at www.zionsvilletrikappa.com for current college students.
Mail completed applications to Teresa Dixon, 4351 Tally Ho Drive, Zionsville, IN 46077, by Monday, Feb. 25.
Concert benefits music education
Mark Wood, an original member of Trans-Siberian Orchestra, will perform at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13, at the Zionsville Performing Arts Center, 1000 Mulberry St.
Wood will be performing with students as part of the Electrify Your Strings! Turbow Tour.
The program is open to the public with all profits going to the schools’ music programs.
Events set at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Food for fines — now through Thursday, Feb. 28. Erase over due fines by donating a nonperishable food item for each dollar in overdue fines owed to the library. All items collected will be donated to the Zionsville Food Pantry.
• Pop n’ Rocks and Prizes — Now through Sunday, March 3, teens and college students. Pick up a challenge sheet from the reference desk and set personal reading goals. Complete the challenge and turn in the sheet by Sunday, March 3, to win one of four prize baskets.
• Pop into a book for prizes — Now through Sunday, March 3. Read anything and write it on a challenge sheet. Submit it by Sunday, March 3, to try to win a prize basket.
• AARP Tax-Aide — 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. every Thursday from now through April 4.
• Game On — 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays, Feb. 18 and 25, teens and college students.
• Baby and Preschool Storytimes — March 11 through April 19. Registration begins at 8 a.m. Open registration begins at 8 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 14.
• SOAR Senior Book Talks — 2:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18, adults 55 and older. Join peers for a book discussion. Interested adults may drop by the large print area and join the conversation.
• Chocolate Ice Cream Taste Test — 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18, teens and college students. Learn what makes ice creams taste different and compare color, texture, taste and more.
• Tandem Read Book Club: Frindle — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 18, ages 8 through 12. Bring a dish or appetizer for a pitch-in meal and discuss the book of the month.
• Single Session Toddler Time — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, ages 1 through 2.
• Introduction to Excel — 10 a.m. to noon Thursday, Feb. 21, adults. Free computer class introduction to Microsoft Excel 2010.
• K-Plus: Celebrate Lincoln — 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 21, ages 5 and 6. Celebrate the life of Abraham Lincoln through crafts, songs and snacks.
• Pink Party — 11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Friday, Feb. 22, ages 3 through 6. Put on a pink outfit and enjoy pink festivities.
• International Flair — 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 23. Join local residents and area friends in celebrating their diverse backgrounds and nationalities at the library’s International Fair.
• Dora the Explorer - An international story time — 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., Monday, Feb. 25, ages 3 through 6.
• Busy Bags — 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Feb. 25, parents only. Join the Friends of the Library for $10 per year and attend our Busy Bag workshop to assemble 12 different busy bags for a child.
• Let’s Workout — 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, grades fourth through fifth.
• FAFSA Completion Night — 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 27, teens, college students and parents. Fill out the FAFSA form online. Families planning to attend should bring social security numbers, completed federal tax forms and W-2 forms of both the student and parents.
• A box storytime — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 28, ages 3 through 6.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in for more information.
BCSSI sponsors events
Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has a location at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
• Independent Consultation Computer Class — 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, Feb. 13 and 20, in the Narthex of Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road. Cost is $20.
• Cards — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 13 and 20, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Bridge and euchre will be played.
• Fun and Fit for Over 50 — 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Thursdays, Feb. 14 and 21, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St.
• Van trip — 9:15 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 18, for a Benjamin Harrison home tour. Van trip attendees must call BCSSI at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939 for more information or to sign-up prior to trip departure. Meet at BCSSI for departure. Transportation fees and meal costs are the responsibility of the attendee. Call BCSSI at 765-482-5220 to schedule personal transportation appointments.
• Van trip — 9 a.m. Friday, Feb. 22, to Tippecanoe Mall. Van trip attendees must call BCSSI at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939 for more information or to sign-up prior to trip departure.
• Lunch and Learn — noon to 1 p.m. Friday, Feb. 22, in Zionsville Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St.
• Art Class — 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Feb. 19 and 26, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Cost is $5 per class. Instructor
The Zionsville Woman’s Club will meet at 1 p.m. Friday, Feb. 15.
Nature Center sponsors events
The Zion Nature Center offers the following upcoming events:
• Animal Adventures: Animal Food — 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday, Feb. 15, ages 3 through 6. Meet at the library for a fictional story then walk to the center to learn facts about animals and the food they eat.
• Utopia Wildlife — 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, at Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St. Utopia Wildlife Rehabilitators will introduce attendees to several injured animals that can’t be released into the wild.
• Backyard tree tapping and maple sugaring — 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, ages 7 and older. Learn how make maple syrup and sample some local syrup.
• Raising Backyard Chickens — 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, ages 15 and older.
The nature center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org for more information.
Tri Kappa offers scholarship
Zionsville chapter of Tri Kappa announces scholarship applications for current college students and are available at www.zionsvilletrikappa.com.
Habitat sponsors event
Habitat for Humanity will sponsor “Habitat builds the American Dream” at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, March 2, at Palomino Ballroom, 481 South County Road 1200 East.
The Wright Brothers will perform at the event.
Cost is $100 per couple, which includes dinner, wine and beer. Tickets must by purchased by Friday, Feb. 15.
Call Stacy at 937-2577 for tickets or more information.
Meet state legislators
Local state elected officials will be at a Legislative Breakfast and discuss legislative issues at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, at the Witham Health Services, North Pavilion Community Room (enter building on north side), 2605 N. Lebanon St., Lebanon.
The event is coordinated by the Boone County Chamber of Commerce and sponsored by Indiana Farm Bureau and Witham.
Women’s self defense courses available
Women’s Self Defense Training course is available from now through March 25 for women in grades ninth through 12th.
The class meets on from 8 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. Mondays in the Zionsville Middle School North Gymnasium, 900 Ford Road. The cost is $36.75.
The eight week course will assist in preparing college bound women with focus on personal protection and self-defense. Women will learn types of awareness, prevention, risk reduction, physical power, and how to reduce their chances of becoming a crime victim. Parents are encouraged to attend course sessions. Dress code is normal school clothing and shoes.
Preschool registration for fall enrollment in the Early Childhood Ministry at Christ Church, 600 County Road 1000 East, has begun.
ECM uses a Christ-centered developmentally appropriate curriculum that upholds the basic early childhood concept that all young children learn best when they use their senses.
New this year is the acceptance of toddlers who are 15 months old by Sept. 1.
Contact Laurie Highsmith at 873-3232 or visit www.zionsvillelutheran.org/index.php/preschool/purpose for more information.
Help out the Zionsville Food Bank
The Zionsville Food Bank, 4775 W. 116th St., and Mothers of Preschoolers will sponsor a family night out event from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, March 9.
The Hunter Smith Band will play a concert during the event.
Proceeds from the event will provide food to the food bank and allow other mothers the opportunity to participate in MOPS. Childcare will be available.
Tickets may be purchased at http://bit.ly/Y71PZh.
Church hosts movie screening
Christ Church, 600 N. Ford Road, will be hosting the Heartland Roadshow at 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 24.
The screening, Three Day Test, was the 2012 Heartland Film Festival’s marquee family movie event.
Refreshments will be available, and there is a suggested donation of $10.
All proceeds benefit Heartland.
Call 873-3242 for more information.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.