Before-school French registration open
L’École Française, the before-school French program for Zionsville Community Schools, is registering students for the fall.
Registration for all elementary schools, including Boone Meadow, are available on the Eagle Rec website.
Visit www.zionsvillefrench.org or call Cathy Dwyer at 513-0678 for more information.
Registration open for 5K race
Registration is now open for the St. Alphonsus Liguori Catholic Church 5K Race.
The “You Can Call Me ‘Al’” race will be at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, July 27, at the church, 1870 W. Oak St.
Cost is $18 per registration, and family discounts are available.
Refreshments and event t-shirts are included with each registration. Participants will have special trackers for recording their time and may compete for prizes.
Visit www.zionsvillecatholic.com/race or call 873-2885 for more information and to register.
Registration accepted for Spanish classes
Learn Another Language, Inc., before school Spanish program is enrolling students for the 2013-14 school year.
The kindergarten through sixth grade program meets Mondays through Thursdays in the elementary and middle schools. Space is limited.
Visit www.lalzionsville.org to register.
Contact Amy Malott at 506-3890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Youth Triathlon registration open
Registration is open for the Fourth of July Zionsville Youth Triathlon.
The triathlon will take place at 9 a.m. Thursday, July 4, at Azionaqua Swim Club, 4875 Willow Road. Visit www.kidstriforkids.com to register.
The field is limited to 200 individuals, and USA Triathlon membership is required.
Cost is $30 before the event and $45 the day of the event.
Contact Dan Gehring at email@example.com for more information.
Events planned for seniors
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Caring with Cause — 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, July 9. Facilitators Rachel Gerrish, Franciscan Visiting Nurses at St. Francis and Serge Monperous will offer engaging and educational presentations to assist caregivers in developing supportive relationships.
• Casino Trip — Trip to Rising Star Casino Tuesday, Aug. 20. Trip includes roundtrip motorcoach transportation, $5 casino cash and $10 slot play. Cost is $35 per person. Contact BCSSI for more information.
Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has locations at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
Events set at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Loaded with Goodies — now through Sunday, June 30. Each month, containers loaded with sweets will be on display at the youth services reference desk and the second floor circulation desk. All ages may guess how many pieces of candy are in each container for a chance to win the container of sweets. A 50 cent donation to American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life is suggested for each entry.
• Read, White and Blue: A Star-Spangled Summer — now through July 27, birth through entering fifth grade. Reading logs will be available at the library or at www.zionsville.lib.in.us. The first 1,000 to report their first goal of three books will receive a foam rocket or rubber duck. Earn a prize for every five books up to 50. Reach the 50 book goal and earn a chance to win the grand prize.
• Liberty and Books for All — June through July, adults. Be on the lookout for programs during June and July for the summer reading program. Visit the online calendar to see programs. The top 20 readers will earn Starbucks gift cards. At the end of July, one patron will win the second prize, a Colts barbecue set. One patron will win the grand prize, a Cuisinart ice cream maker.
• Parent/Child Chess Club — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays, July 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30, families. Kids and parents can spend time together learning the game of chess with the Yearling family.
• Safe-Sitter Class — 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 10, ages 11 through 13. Cost is $55. A course designed to teach babysitters how to be safe and nurturing caregivers. Bring a sack lunch.
• Going on a Picnic — 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Monday, July 8, ages 3 through 6. Share picnic stories and play picnic games.
• Read, Build, Play with DUPLOs: Let’s Go! Vroom! — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, July 8, ages 3 through 6 with a parent. A parent-child interactive story and playtime with LEGO DUPLO bricks.
• Don Edwards of Clayworks — 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. or 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, ages 2 through 12. Design and create a clay pot with a professional potter. Cost is $32 per child, cash only.
• From C to Shining C — 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Thursday, July 11, ages 3 through 6. Cookies, critters, cats, colors and anything else that starts with the letter C.
• Let’s Bloom: Garden Project — 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Thursdays, July 11 and 25, ages 7 through 12. The library will start gardens and maintain them throughout the growing season. Activities include gardening basics, composting, garden tools, ecology and more.
• Toddler Time Session 2 — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Fridays July 12, 19 and 26, ages 1 and 2. Walkers and talkers are welcome to have fun with stories, songs, finger plays and more.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in for more information.
SullivanMunce announces new exhibits
The SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., can be reached at 873-4900 for more information. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays.
Zionsville Paint Out Exhibition - Tuesday, July 9, through Tuesday, July 23. This exhibition features the works created by artists who participated in the Zionsville Paint Out. This exhibition is free and open to the public.
Zionsville Family Scrapbooks - Tuesday, July 9, through Saturday, Aug. 31. This exhibit will feature antique scrapbooks and photographs of Zionsville families from the SullivanMunce Archive Collection. Explore artifacts never before exhibited and help the center identify missing information.
Concerts return to Lions Park
Free, family concerts are returning to Lions Park for another year.
Concerts begin at 7 p.m. every Sunday in July. Food and drinks will be offered for a donation at each concert.
This year’s theme is “Unforgettable Music from the Great American Songbook.”
The July 7 concert is “Memorable Marches and Waltzes,” performed by the Zionsville Concert Band under the direction of John Richardson.
Email Leigh Ann Akard at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Homeowners roundtable set
The Zionsville Homeowners Association Roundtable will meet from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, at Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St.
Individuals who serve on the board of directors of Zionsville-area homeowners associations are invited to hear from Wayne DeLong, director of planning and economic development.
The meeting is also an opportunity to speak with other HOA board members in town and share ideas.
Call Jane Fuqua at 769-7874 for more information.
Nature Center hosts events
Body copy:The Zion Nature Center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org.
• Tie Dye Tuesday – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, ages 5 and
older. Bring life to an old or plain T-shirt and learn the art of natural plant-based dyeing with indigo. Cost is $2. Bring a shirt.
• Bee-ology – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, July 17. Learn facts
about honeybees and even taste some honey while taking a look at the observational beehive sponsored by local bee keepers RJ Honey.
• Fairy Houses – 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Thursday, July 18, ages 5
through 10. Meet at Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library to read about Fairy Houses and walk to the nature center to build one.
• Indiana Jim’s Reptile Experience – 1 p.m. Thursday, July 18.
Indiana Jim and his live reptiles will be at Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St.
Maplelawn to host music revue
Maplelawn Farmstead will host a music revue featuring the music of Cole Porter.
“An Evening with Cole Porter” will be held from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, July 27, at The Meeting House at Stonegate, 6653 Westminster Dr.
The event will feature hors d’oeuvres and a cash bar. Tickets are $50 per person and reservations are required. Guests must be 21 years of age to attend. Tables of eight are available. Proceeds will benefit the not-for-profit 1930s era farmstead.
Contact Jan Stacy at email@example.com or 873-3792 for reservations.
Car show at Lions Park
The Indiana British Car Union will be having their 25th Annual Indy British Motor Days car show at Lions Park.
The event will last from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 3 and will showcase more than 100 classic British automobiles.
The show is free to the public. Visit www.IBCU.org for more information.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.