Library features family events
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following:
• Summer Hours — The library will be closed on Sundays during the summer through Sunday, Aug. 1. Normal Sunday hours of 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. will resume Sunday, Sept. 7.
• Italic Calligraphy — 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesdays, June 11 and 18, adults. Become familiar with the Italic hand under the direction of Zionsville calligrapher Julia Fish Thompson. This is a beginning class and all materials, including a pen to keep, are provided. This class is held in two sessions and will cover how to hold a pen, how to form each letter, spacing letters and words, the history of this style, and modern examples of Italic. Registration is required.
• Teens Movie: Despicable Me 2 — 2 p.m. Thursday, June 12. Bring a chair and enjoy the movie with popcorn and drinks. Stay after the movie to make a minion.
• Questyinz: Looking for Beta Testers — 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, June 12, ages 9-11. Test an online, summer learning game. Questyinz invites students to complete Quests using books, educational websites and real word experiences. Starting a Beta tester account ID will require parental permission to access the game for the summer. Bring an internet accessible tablet or iPad if you have one.
• Toddler Time — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Fridays, June 13, 20 and 27, ages 1-2. Walkers and talkers are welcome to take a walk on the wild side and enjoy stories, songs, finger plays and more.
• Safe-Sitter Class — 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, June 16, ages 11-13. Cost is $55. A course designed to teach babysitters how to be safe and nurturing caregivers, and how to handle children’s emergencies. Please bring a sack lunch.
• Wild River Ride — 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Monday, June 16, ages 3-6; and 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, June 16, ages 7-12. Learn more about rivers and problem solving the creation of a river using household items.