Library features family events
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following:
• Summer Hours -- The library will be closed on Sundays during the summer from now through Sunday, Aug. 1. Normal Sunday hours of 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. will resume Sunday, Sept. 7.
• Summer Parent/Child Chess Club -- 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Thursdays, July 3, 10, 17, 24 and 31, ages preschool through high school. Join Paul Yearling to challenge your mind while playing chess. All skill levels are welcome.
• Create-A-Plate -- Monday, July 7, through Saturday, July 12, all ages. Draw on a special paper to be transformed into a melamine plate. Finished plates may be picked up in six to eight weeks. Cost is $6.50 per plate.
• Toddler Time -- 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday, July 18, ages 1-2. Walkers and talkers will enjoy stories, songs, finger plays and more.
• Read Wild: Lions -- 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. Monday, July 21, ages 6-8. Join the pride to hear African folktales, find the beat of the lion's drum and create a lion craft.
• Read, Build, Play with DUPLOs -- 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, July 21, ages 3-6 with a parent. A parent-child interactive story and playtime with LEGO DUPLO bricks.
• Readaloud with Miss Kelli -- 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tuesday, July 22, ages 5-12. Miss Kelli will be reading "Miss Child Has Gone Wild" by Dan Gutman.
• Reader's Theater Fun -- 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. Tuesday, July 22, ages 7-12. An informal and fun time of reading out loud together.
• Babies in Jammies -- 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, July 22, ages birth through 11 months. Babies and their parents will enjoy songs, rhymes, finger plays, action playing, a short book and play time.
• Gourmet Girlfriends -- 11 a.m. to noon Wednesday, July 23, ages 7-11. Learn how to create exotic snacks for you and your friends.
• Crafty Friends -- 10 a.m. to noon Thursday, July 24. Gather with other friends and create crafts to sell in support of the library. No crafting skill required.