Student teaching scholarship available
Delta Kappa Gamma’s Beta Epsilon Chapter is offering a $500 scholarship to assist a young woman during her semester of student teaching.
Applicants must be Boone County residents, enrolled in a college or university, have an education major and be preparing for student teaching during the 2013-14 school year. Applications must be completed and returned to the scholarship committee by Aug. 15.
Contact Lynn Hiller by mailing to P.O. Box 184, Jamestown, Ind., 46147, calling 765-676-5166 or emailing email@example.com for an application.
Before-school French registration open
L’École Française, the before-school French program for Zionsville Community Schools, is registering students for the fall.
All elementary schools, including Boone Meadow, are available for registration on the Eagle Rec website.
Visit www.zionsvillefrench.org or call Cathy Dwyer at 513-0678 for more information.
Registration open for 5K race
Registration is now open for the St. Alphonsus Liguori Catholic Church 5K Race.
The “You Can Call Me ‘Al’” race will be at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, July 27, at the church, 1870 W. Oak St.
Cost is $18 per registration, and family discounts are available. Refreshments and event T-shirts are included with each registration. Participants will have special trackers for recording their time and may compete for prizes.
Visit www.zionsvillecatholic.com/race or call 873-2885 for more information and to register.
Registration open for Spanish classes
Learn Another Language, Inc., before-school Spanish program is enrolling students for the 2013-14 school year.
The kindergarten through sixth grade program meets Mondays through Thursdays in the elementary and middle schools. Space is limited. Visit www.lalzionsville.org to register.
Contact Amy Malott at 506-3890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Events planned for seniors
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Independent Consultation Computer Class — 10 a.m. to noon every Wednesday in the Narthex of Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road. Cost is $20.
• Cards — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Wednesday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Bridge and euchre will be played.
• Art Class — 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Cost is $5 per class. Instructor Shirley Luttrell will work with any level of student and any medium.
• First Anniversary Celebration — noon to 1 p.m. Friday, July 26, Town of Zionsville Shelter House, 1100 W. Oak St. Enjoy a free lunch, entertainment and door prizes.
• Fun and Fit for Over Fifty — 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. every Thursday at Zionsville Meadows, 675 S. County Road 1000 E. Instructor Josh Dickey, new energy wellness coordinator, will lead this exercise class.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Tuesday, July 30, to Tippecanoe Mall. Meet at BCSSI for departure. Transportation fees and meal costs are the responsibility of the attendee.
• Support Group: Caring with Cause — 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, Aug. 13 and 27, at Zionsville Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St. Facilitators Rachel Gerrish, Franciscan visiting nurses at St. Francis, Serge Monperous, Peoplefirst Homecare and Hospice will offer engaging and educational presentations to assist caregivers in developing supportive relationships. The adult being cared for by the caregiver will also be welcome to attend the group.
• Casino Trip — Trip to Rising Star Casino Tuesday, Aug. 20. Trip includes roundtrip motorcoach transportation, $5 casino cash and $10 slot play. Cost is $35 per person. Contact BCSSI for more information.
Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has locations at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Dr., Lebanon.