Vote for concert artwork
A people’s choice vote will be held now through Saturday, May 4, for promotional artwork for the 2013 Lincoln Park Concert Series. Voting will take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Zionsville Cultural District Welcome Center, 290 N. Main St. Artwork from nine Zionsville and Zionsville West middle school students have been selected as finalists. The three winning pieces of artwork will be featured on promotional posters and programs for the concert series, which is held from 7:30 p.m. to 8:40 p.m. each Wednesday during the summer.
SullivanMunce hosts rummage sale
The SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., will host a rummage sale fundraiser.
RummageJumble will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, May 17, and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 18. All proceeds from the event benefit the center.
Items needed for the sale include books, antiques, electronics, furniture and decorations. The only items not accepted are clothes.
Residents may drop off any items from now through Tuesday, May 14, at the center. Contact Melissa Fanning at melissaf@
sullivanmunce.org or 873-4900 for more information.
Blood drives in Boone County
The Indiana Blood Center will have the following blood drives in Boone County:
• 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 1, at Boone Meadow Elementary School, 5555 Main St., Whitestown.
• 4 to 8 p.m. Monday, May 6, Witham YMCA, 2791 N. Lebanon St., Lebanon.
• 3 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, May 7, Harney Elementary School, 1810 N. Grant St., Lebanon.
• 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Sunday, May 19, St. Joseph Catholic Church, 319 E. South St., Lebanon.
Call the blood center at 800-632-4722 option 4 or visit www.donorpoint.org for more information.
Events planned for senior citizens
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Friday, May 10, to Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Cost is $5, and admission to the museum is $5. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Tuesday, May 14, to Castleton Square Mall. Cost is $5. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees.
• Van Trip — 10:15 a.m. Thursday, May 16, to the Indianapolis Indians baseball game. Cost is $5. Tickets are $11 for reserved seats and $15 for boxed seats. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees.
• Van Trip — 10:30 a.m. Monday, May 20, to Corky’s Fabulous 50s Diner. Cost is $6. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Friday, May 24, to Greenwood Park Mall. Cost is $6. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees.
To register, call BCSSI at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939.
ZUMC hosts day of prayer on May 2
Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road, will take part in a National Day of Prayer. Stop by the church between noon and 8 p.m. Thursday, May 2, to pray for American leadership, education, faith and the economy during a self-guided prayer time. Visit www.zumc.org for more information.
Woman’s Club to meet
The Woman’s Club of Zionsville will meet at 1 p.m. Friday, May 3, at the home of Linda Elliott.
Events planned at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Baby Chicks — 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. Friday, May 3, ages 3 through 6. Read stories about chicks and other baby animals, make a craft and imagine what it would be like to hatch out of an egg.
• Star Wars: May the fourth be with you — 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Saturday, May 4, ages 7 through 12. Celebrate May the Fourth with Star Wars activities including origami Yoda, Vader says and Imperial bowling.
• PAWS to Read — 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, May 7, grades first through fifth. Register for a 15 minute time slot to read with a therapy dogs.
• Once Upon a Time ... We Danced — 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, May 4, families with children ages 3 and older. See favorite storybooks come to life through dance with the help of Village Dance Studio.
• Simple Science Family Night: How does it Grow? — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, May 6, families with children ages 3 through 7. Instill a love of science with your child with easy and fun ways to learn basic concepts through simple science activities.
• Babies in Jammies — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 8, ages birth through 11 months. Babies with their parents will enjoy songs, rhymes, finger plays, action playing, a short book and play time.
• Just Ducky — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Thursday, May 9, ages 3 through 6. Quack it up at the library with stories, songs and finger plays.
• Mommy and Me — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Friday, May 10, ages 3 through 6. Listen to stories, play games and create a special craft to help celebrate Mother’s Day.
• Safe-Sitter Class — 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, May 11, ages 11 through 13. This course is designed to teach babysitters how to be safe and nurturing caregivers and handle children’s emergencies. Bring a sack lunch.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in for more information.
Happenings at the Nature Center
The Zion Nature Center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org.
• Under-the-Sea — 2 p.m. Saturday, May 4, and Sunday, May 5. Join Marine Biologist Gerry Smith as he introduces everyone to some resident under-the-sea creatures in the marine aquarium. Make a sea life key chain for $2. Registration required.
• Paint a Pot — 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays, May 4 and 11, and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays, May 5 and 12. Decorate a flowerpot for a Mother’s Day gift. The center will provide all of the materials. Cost is $3.
• Hoosier Riverwatch Basic Training — 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, May 11, ages 15 and older. Meet at the Lions Park shelter house, 115 S. Elm St., for a hands-on workshop that introduces citizens and educators to water quality monitoring. Participants will become “Certified Volunteer Monitors.” Topics and activities are correlated to Indiana’s Academic Standards for Science and educators may also receive Professional Growth Points. Please bring lunch, water, creek shoes or waders and be prepared to be indoors and in the creek. Registration is required. Contact John Ulmer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 769-3500 to register.
ZCHS registration event scheduled
Zionsville Community High School, 1000 Mulberry St., will host a registration meeting for students interested in joining the band, orchestra and color guard. It will be from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday, May 6, in the high school cafeteria. All incoming freshman and current ZCHS students and their parents are requested to attend. A registration form, volunteer form and travel permission form are available at www.zboponline.org. Bring the completed forms to the meeting.
Postal carriers help out ZFP
The annual Post Office Food Drive will be Saturday, May 11, to support Zionsville Food Pantry. Postal carriers will collect food at mailboxes and take them back to the post office. Pantry volunteers will collect the donations, transport them to the pantry, sort and store them from noon to 6 p.m.
Bluebird Society to hold meeting
The Boone County Bluebird Society will hold its spring meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 7, at the Boone REMC Community Room, 1207 Indianapolis Ave., Lebanon. The meeting is open to the public to learn about bluebirds and how to start a bluebird trail. Call Christy Frampton at 769-3416 or email email@example.com for more information.
Legion hosting monthly yard sales
The Zionsville American Legion Auxiliary, 9950 E CR 600 S, will host yard sales every month in the summer. They will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, May 11, June 8, July 13 and Aug. 10.Tables and spaces may be rented for $20. Drop off items at the Legion to donate for the yard sale. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Linda at 769-4270 for more information.
Lebanon library hosts literacy event
The Community Foundation of Boone County and the Lebanon Public Library will present an Early Literacy Workshop at 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 15, in the top floor meeting room at the library, 104 E. Washington St., Lebanon. The workshop will demonstrate how parents can use five familiar and easy to use practices to develop language and other early literacy skills in children from birth to age five. It will explain why the skills are important and send parents and caregivers home with early literacy ideas to incorporate into the family’s daily routine. Attendees will receive a certificate of participation and a free book. Contact Tammy Culley at 765-483-2570 or email@example.com for more information.
New networking group forms
A new women’s networking group, Zionsville Women in Network, will hold an informational meeting from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at Patrick’s Kitchen and Drinks, 175 S. Main St. This group of Zionsville women in business will meet monthly with a goal to support, inspire and promote women in the community on a professional and personal level. ZWIN will focus on networking, education, marketing and philanthropy. Membership applications will be accepted. A pre-selected menu will be available for an optional lunch. Contact Debbi Kuller at debbi.kuller@oldnational
bank.com or Kathy Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Fun bike ride set for May 18
The Zionsville Parks and Recreation Department and Nebo Ridge Bicycles will sponsor a bicycle family fun ride. The ride will begin at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, May 18, at Elm Street Green and follow a 7-mile route that includes Turkey Foot Park and Rail Trail Park, finishing at Dairy Queen.
Nebo Ridge will have a mobile service stand and mechanics to inspect bicycles from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.
Vote for concert artwork
- Community Calendar from March 5, 2014 Community Calendar from March 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014
- More Calendar Headlines