Zionsville Times Sentinel
Registration open for ZCS-GROW
Registration is now open for Zionsville Community Schools’ 2013-14 GROW programming.
Programming included this year is Summer Explorers’ Day Camp at Pleasant View Elementary, universal preschool at Boone Meadow Elementary, kindergarten bridge, before and after care and middle school JAM.
Email ZCSGrow@zcs.k12.in.us to register.
Contact the ZCS-GROW office at 873-2226 ext. 11126 for more information.
at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• AARP Tax-Aide — 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. every Thursday from now through April 4. Free tax help for taxpayers with low and middle income with special attention to those ages 60 and older. Reservations required.
• Create-A-Plate — now through Sunday, March 17. Drop by any time the library is open and draw on a special paper to be transformed into a melamine plate. Plates may be picked up in six to eight weeks. Cost is $6.50 per plate.
• K-Plus Monet Masterpieces — 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. Thursday, March 14, ages 5 through 6. Learn about great artists and create a masterpiece.
• A Space to Create: Picasso — 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Saturday, March 16, ages 5 through 9. Explore the art of Picasso. The focus will be on his “blue period.” Create a portrait using only blue, black and white paint.
• Tandem Read Book Club: The Westing Game — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday, March 18, ages 8 through 12 plus an adult. Join the youth librarians for a new five month book club. Bring a dish for the pitch-in dinner to eat and discuss the book of the month.
• Benjamin’s Kite — 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 20, families with children ages 3 and older. Supplies and directions available for families to make and fly a kite like young Benjamin Franklin. Register for supplies and follow self-guided instructions.
• Art of Alexander Calder — 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, March 23, ages 8 through 12. Join staff from SullivanMunce Cultural Center and explore the art of Alexander Calder by making a mobile with wire, beads and buttons.
• Simple Science Family Night: How does it grow? — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, March 25, families with children ages 3 through 7. Instill a love of science with easy and fun ways to learn basic concepts through simple science activities.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in for more information.
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Independent Consultation Computer Class — 10 a.m. to noon every Wednesday in the Narthex of Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road. Cost is $20.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Tuesday, March 19, to Tippecanoe Mall in Lafayette. Van trip attendees must call BCSSI at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939 for more information or to sign-up prior to trip departure. Meet at BCSSI for departure. Transportation fees and meal costs are the responsibility of the attendee. Call BCSSI at 765-482-5220 to schedule personal transportation appointments.
• Lunch and Learn — noon to 1 p.m. Friday, March 22, in the Zionsville Town Hall Community Room. Josh Dickey, new energy wellness coordinator from American Senior Communities, will discuss the importance of staying active and physically fit. Lunch, which is free to the first 30 registrants, will be provided by Zionsville Meadows.
• Travel Group — May 29 through June 4 to Boston, Salem and the New England North Shore. Cost is $565 per person based on double occupancy. Single and triple occupancy prices are available. Cost includes round trip transportation; luggage handling; 10 meals; seven days, six nights of lodging; a guided tour of Boston, Concord, Lexington and Salem; visit the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, Quincy Marketplace and Cambridge. Payment of $75 deposit per person is due upon signing. Final payment due Saturday, March 23. Contact BCSSI for more information.
Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has a location at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
Optimists Club offers scholarship
The Zionsville Optimists Club is offering a $1,000 vocational scholarship to graduating ZCHS seniors to be used for tuition at schools offering degrees in trades or specialized fields, such as barber and beauty schools, electrical work, and similar programs.
Email email@example.com of the Optimists Club for more information.
The Zionsville Woman’s Club will meet at 1 p.m. Friday, March 15.
Local state elected officials will be at a Legislative Breakfast and discuss legislative issues at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, March 16, at the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library. The event is coordinated by the Boone County Chamber of Commerce and sponsored by Indiana Farm Bureau and Witham. Doughnuts and coffee provided.
at Nature Center
The Zion Nature Center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org.
• Easter eggs gourds — 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays March 16 and 23, and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays, March 17 and 24, ages 5 and older. Decorate natural Easter eggs using gourds. The home-grown gourds are the right size and shape and will last for years. The cost is $2, and all supplies are included.
• Owls of Indiana — 11 a.m. Saturday, March 23, ages 5 and older. Learn about Indiana’s owls and what makes these birds of prey both masters of flight and supreme hunters. Program is free. Dissect an owl pellet for $3.
• Closed for Easter — Sunday, March 31.
• Spring migration bird hike — 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Thursday, April 4 and Thursday, April 25, families. Join the specialists at the center for a spring migration bird hike in Starkey Park. Local birder Rob Ripma will lead the group in search of resident and early migrant birds. The hike is for beginning and advanced birders. Meet at Starkey Park in the parking lot off Sugarbush Drive.
• Animal Adventures: Worms — 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday, April 12, ages 3 through 6. Meet at the library then walk to the nature center to learn about worms.
• The turtles are awake — 11 a.m. Saturday, April 13. Meet the resident box turtles, learn some facts and observe their appetites after hibernation.
• Rain Gardens Care and Maintenance Workshop — 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday, April 16, adults. This workshop will provide basic information on rain garden use and installation but will focus on long-term care and maintenance to ensure the success of the garden. This free program will take place at Zionsville Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St. Participants will receive a free native plant compliments of the Zionsville Stormwater Department.
SullivanMunce hosts call out
The SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., will hold a volunteer call out event. The event will be from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, March 21, at the center.
Attendees will learn about volunteer opportunities and enjoy refreshments.
Visit www.sullivanmunce.org or cal 873-4900 for more information.
Concert band offers free concert
The Zionsville Concert Band will play a free concert at 7 p.m. Friday, March 22, in the Community Room of Robin Run Village, 5354 W. 62nd St., Indianapolis.
The concert is entitled “Strike up the Band” and will include compositions by George Gershwin Leonard Bernstein, Irving Berlin, Richard Rogers and others.
The concert is open to the public, and no tickets are necessary.
Call Musical Director John Richardson at 717-4667 for more information.
Easter Egg hunt scheduled
The Whitestown Park Department will hold the annual Community Easter Egg Hunt at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 30, at Walker Farms Park.
The park is located at the intersection of Main Street and East County Road 400 South.
Email Katie at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer or make a donation.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.