at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Saturday morning Chess Club — 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29, for children ages preschool through high school. Join Paul Yearling every Saturday to play chess whether you are an advanced player or just starting out.
• Sight Word Bingo — 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 3, ages 4 through 7. Have fun playing Bingo and learn beginning words at the same time. Drop by for something to do during Winter Break. Popcorn and lemonade will be served.
• Snow and Snowmen — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Monday, Jan. 7, ages 3 through 6. Open some books about famous snowmen and mark off the first 15 minutes of winter reading. Find out things to do with snow and learn facts about snow.
• Single Session Toddler Time — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m., ages 1 through 2. Walkers and talkers can come to the library to have fun with stories, songs, finger plays and more.
• It’s a popcorn party — 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. Friday, Jan. 11, ages 3 through 6. National Popcorn Day is Saturday, Jan. 19. Celebrate by reading books, playing some popping games, tasting different popcorn flavors and making some popcorn crafty treats.
• Read, Build, Play with DUPLOs: Grow, Caterpillar, Grow — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 14, ages 3 to 6 with an adult. The Read, Build, Play program is a one-of-a-kind experience that combines reading and building with LEGO DUPLO bricks. A Parent-Child interactive story and playtime.
• Draw Me a Picture — 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 15, for grades second through fifth. Celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Caldecott Medal, awarded annually to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children. Feel like an illustrator, as you listen to a story and then create an illustration that would help re-tell the story. Registration begins Thursday, Dec. 27.
• Animal Adventures: Owls — 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday, Jan. 18, ages 3 to 6 with a parent. The librarians and the naturalists from the Zion Nature Center come together to share stories, activities and real animals. Meet at the library for a story or two, then put your coat on and walk over to the Nature Center to visit with the real animals who live there. No parking is available at the Nature Center.
• Safe Sitter Class — 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, ages 11 through 13. Cost $55. A course teachers babysitters how to be safe and nurturing caregivers and how to handle children’s emergencies. Bring a sack lunch.
• Tandem Read Book Club — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Mondays, Jan. 21, Feb. 18, March 18, April 15 and May 20, ages 8 through 12 with an adult. Join the youth librarians for a new book club. Bring a dish for a pitch-in dinner to eat and discuss the book of the month.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in. for more information.
- Community Calendar from August 20, 2014 Community Calendar from August 20, 2014
- Community Calendar from August 13, 2014 Community Calendar from August 13, 2014
- Community Calendar from Aug. 6, 2014 Community Calendar from Aug. 6, 2014
- Calendar for July 30, 2014
- Community Calendar from July 23, 2014 Community Calendar from July 23, 2014
- Community Calendar from July 16, 2014 Community Calendar from July 16, 2014
- Community Calendar from July 2, 2014 Community Calendar from July 2, 2014
- Community Calendar from June 25, 2014
- Community calendar from June 18, 2014 Community calendar from June 18, 2014
- Community calendar for June 11, 2014
- More Calendar Headlines