Events planned for seniors
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Independent Consultation Computer Class — 10 a.m. to noon every Wednesday in the narthex of Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road. Cost is $20.
• Cards — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Wednesday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Bridge and euchre will be played.
• Fun and Fit for Over 50 — 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. every Thursday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St.
• Art Class — 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Cost is $5 per class. Instructor Shirley Luttrell will work with any level of student and any medium.
• Lunch and Learn — noon to 1 p.m. Friday, May 24, at the Zionsville Town Hall Community Room, 1100 W. Oak St. The program will be sponsored by Zionsville Meadows. Lunch is free to the first 30 registrants.
• Van Trip — 10:30 a.m. Monday, May 20, to Corky’s Fabulous 50s Diner. Cost is $6. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees. Contact BCSSI to register.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Friday, May 24, to Greenwood Park Mall. Cost is $6. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees. Contact BCSSI to register.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Friday, May 31, to Tippecanoe Mall. Cost is $6. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees. Contact BCSSI to register.
Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has locations at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
Events set at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Toddler Time — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Thursdays, May 16 and 30, ages 1 through 2. Walkers and talkers can come to the library to enjoy stories, songs and finger plays.
• Friends of the Library Book Sale — Preview sale from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, May 18. Admission is $5 for adults, $2.50 for children ages 11 and younger. Sale begins will be 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, May 18. Admission is free. A bag sale will be from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sale resumes from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, May 19. Admission is free, and the bag sale will last all day. Attendees will be able to purchase books, movies, music and games at bargain prices as well as handmade crafts, jewelry and baked goods.
• Game On — 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, May 20. Meet in the teen area to play games on the Wii and Xbox Kinect.
• Tandem Read Book Club - Indian Summer — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday, May 20, ages 8 through 12 with an adult. Join the youth librarians for the fifth book in the five-week long Tandem Read Book Club. Bring a favorite dish for a pitch-in dinner to discuss the book of the month.
• Scholastic Book Sale — Wednesday, May 22, through Monday, June 3. Drop by the Youth Services Department to browse through the selection of new books for all ages.
• Family Science Night — 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 22, families with children ages 3 through 12. Participate in interactive science and engineering activities. Science Ambassadors from Dow Agro Sciences return with new activities and will be available to speak about careers in science. Registration began Thursday, May 2.
• Friends of the Library Book/Movie Discussion Group — 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 22. The gathering will discuss “Age of Innocence” by Edith Wharton and compare the movie to the book. The event is for Friends of the Library members. Visit www.zionsville.lib.in.us to become a member.
• K-Plus Dinosaurs — 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. Thursday, May 23, ages 5 and 6. Kindergarteners can come explore the world of dinosaurs through reading, activities, crafts and snacks.
• Noodles and Company Fundraiser — 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday, May 23. Have lunch or dinner at Noodles and Company, 5710 W. 86th St., and 25 percent of the purchase will be donated to the Friends of the Library. Pick up a flyer at the library and present it when placing an order.
• Teen Study Break — 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, May 23, teens. Stop by to have a healthy snack and take a mini-break from studying.
• Library closed — Sunday, May 26 through Monday, May 27. The library will be closed in honor of Memorial Day. Normal hours will resume Tuesday, May 28.
• Patriotic Puppet Show — 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. or 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. Wednesday, May 29, ages 3 through 6 with a parent. Library puppets celebrate America with stories and songs.
• Babies in Jammies — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 29, birth through 11 months. Babies and their parents will enjoy songs, rhymes, finger plays, action playing, a short book and play time. Registration began Tuesday, May 7.
• Loaded with Goodies — now through Sunday, June 30. Each month, containers loaded with sweets will be on display at the youth services reference desk and the second floor circulation desk. All ages may guess how many pieces of candy are in each container for a chance to win the container of sweets. A 50-cent donation to American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life is suggested for each entry.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in for more information.