Events set at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Library Campout — 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 17, grades fourth and fifth. Hang out and relax around a campfire in the library. Bring a sleeping bag, eat snacks and help tell a story.
• K-Plus Picky Eaters — 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. Thursday, April 18, ages 5 and 6. Hear about a certain picky eater who learned that eating his peas might not be the worst thing that could happen to him.
• Safe-Sitter Class — 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, April 20, ages 11 through 13. Cost is $55. A course designed to teach babysitters how to be safe and nurturing caregivers and how to handle children’s emergencies. Bring a lunch.
• In the tall, tall grass — 1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, April 21, families. Meet at the library for stories and activities and walk to the Zion Nature Center to celebrate Earth Day at the Z’Greenfest.
• Introduction to Egg Incubation and Development — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, April 22, families with children ages 2 through 12. Boone County Educator Doug Akers will answer questions about the development, incubation and care of chickens and ducks.
• Birds — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 14, ages 3 through 6. Fly with our feathered friends, hear some stories and build a nest. Registration begins Tuesday, April 23.
• Sidewalk Chalk — 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 15, grades fourth and fifth. Take a break from the stress of testing and final projects and play with sidewalk chalk. Registration begins Tuesday, April 23.
• Toddler Time — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., ages 1 and 2. Walkers and talkers can come to the library to enjoy stories, songs and finger plays. Registration begins Tuesday, April 23.
• Poetry Reader’s Theater SlamJam Fun — 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, ages 8 through 12. Show off reading skills with some vocal frills. April is National Poetry Month.
• Babies in Jammies — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 24, ages birth through 11 months. Enjoy songs, rhymes, finger plays, action playing, a short book and play time.
• Single Session Toddler Time — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Thursday, April 25, ages 1 through 2.
• Mommy and Me — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Friday, May 10, ages 3 through 6. Listen to stories, play games and create a special craft to help celebrate Mother’s Day. Registration begins Thursday, April 18.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in for more information.
Nature Center offers activities
The Zion Nature Center has scheduled the following upcoming events:
• Spring Wildflower Hike — 11 a.m. Wednesday, April 17, adults. Join Myrene Brown for a hike in Starkey Park to discover what Indiana wildflowers are in bloom. After the hike, visit Brown’s home to view the integration of several spring wildflowers in her gardens. Meet in the Starkey Park parking lot off Sugarbush Drive.
• Z’GreenFest — 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, April 21. The Friends of the Zion Nature Center and Boone REMC will sponsor the seventh annual Z’GreenFest that will feature more than 20 organizations that inspire green living.
• Spring migration bird hike — 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Thursday, April 25, families. Join the specialists at the center for a spring migration bird hike in Starkey Park. Local birder Rob Ripma will lead the group in search of resident and early migrant birds. The hike is for beginning and advanced birders. Meet at Starkey Park in the parking lot off Sugarbush Drive.
The Zion Nature Center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org.
New talk at SullivanMunce
The SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., will host a genealogy talk by local genealogist Roberta Martin.
The talk will be Thursday, April 18.
Attendees will learn about resources available in the Indianapolis area to begin a genealogy search and will receive some materials to start a genealogy search.
Email email@example.com or call 873-4900 to R.S.V.P. Space is limited.
Events planned for seniors
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Friday, April 19, to Castleton Square Mall. Van trip attendees must sign-up prior to trip departure. Meet at BCSSI for departure. Transportation fees and meal costs are the responsibility of the attendee.
• Support Group: Caring with Cause — 10 a.m. to noon Tuesday, April 23, Town Hall Fireplace Room, 1100 W. Oak St. Facilitators Rachel Gerrish, Franciscan visiting nurses at St. Frances and Serge Monperous will offer engaging and educational presentations to assist caregivers in developing supportive relationships. The adult being cared for by the caregiver will also be welcome to attend the group.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Wednesday, April 24, to Edinburgh Outlet Mall. Attendees must call BCSSI to sign up prior to departure. Meet at BCSSI for departure.
Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has locations at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
Woman’s club to meet
The Zionsville Woman’s Club will met at 1 p.m. Friday, April 19, at 245 Sherwood Court.
Legion hosts ladies luncheon
The Zionsville American Legion Post No. 79, 9950 E. County Road 600 South, will host a Ladies Tea Luncheon.
The luncheon will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, April 20.
Cost to attend is $15 for ladies and $5 for ladies 12 and younger.
The luncheon will feature finger food, desserts, tea and raffles.
The legion will also be collecting neck pillows during the benefit to be donated to Riley’s Children’s Hospital. A box is at the legion for those who wish to donate.
Call 873-3105 for more information.
Public invited to view After Prom
The public is able to view the After Prom events and decorations from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Saturday, April 20, at Zionsville Community High School, 1000 Mulberry St.
The committee of parent volunteers will transform the hallways and classrooms of the high school to provide a safe and fun environment for students from midnight until 3 a.m.
Penny Putters host luncheon
The Penny Putters will begin the season with a kick-off luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, April 24.
The pitch-in will be at the Lions Club clubhouse, 115 S. Elm St.
Play will begin Wednesday, May 1, at Zionsville Golf Course and the season will end Sept. 25.
Contact Diane Jackson at 873-5282 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for Penny Putters.
ZUMC hosts day of prayer
Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road, will take part in a National Day of Prayer.
Stop by the church between noon and 8 p.m. Thursday, May 2, to pray for American leadership, education, faith and the economy during a self-guided prayer time.
Visit www.zumc.org for more information.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.
Events set at the library
- Community Calendar from March 5, 2014 Community Calendar from March 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014
- More Calendar Headlines