Garden plots available
Garden plots are now available for the 2013 season from St. Francis-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church, 1525 Mulberry St.
Each plot is 20 feet by 20 feet and has easy access to water.
Cost is $35, and the church is requesting that 10 percent of the harvest be donated to local food pantries.
Call Pat Guiney at 873-4377 for more information and to reserve a plot.
Town offers garden plots
The Zionsville Park and Recreation Department will take reservations for garden plots for the 2013 season.
Reservations will be taken from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St.
The gardens will be at the southwest corner of the intersection of County Roads 400 South and 875 East and at Elm Street Green in the Village.
Plots are 20 feet by 20 feet in size with a rental cost of $20 per plot. The plots are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Water and parking will be provided at both sites.
Call 733-2273 for more information.
Events set at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Birds — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 14, ages 3 through 6. Fly with our feathered friends, hear some stories and build a nest. Registration began Tuesday, April 23.
• Sidewalk Chalk — 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 15, grades fourth and fifth. Take a break from the stress of testing and final projects and play with sidewalk chalk. Registration began Tuesday, April 23.
• Toddler Time — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., ages 1 and 2. Walkers and talkers can come to the library to enjoy stories, songs and finger plays. Registration began Tuesday, April 23.
• Babies in Jammies — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 24, ages birth through 11 months. Babies with their parents will enjoy songs, rhymes, finger plays, action playing, a short book and play time.
• 13th Annual Springtime Event: Egg Hatching — Monday, April 29, through Saturday, May 4. Eggs will hatch in the Youth Services Department. Everyone can join in and watch the chicks hatch via a live webcam at www.zionsville.lib.in.us.
• Hello Kitty, Hello Flowers — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Monday, April 29, ages 3 through 6. Celebrate spring at a Hello Kitty Garden Party with stories, garden games and a craft.
• Mother Goose on the Loose — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 30, ages 1 and 2. Spend time singing songs and nursery rhymes, learning finger plays and lap bounces, playing with rattles and scarves and reading books together.
• Baby Chicks — 10 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. Friday, May 3, ages 3 through 6. Read stories about chicks and other baby animals, make a craft and imagine what it would be like to hatch out of an egg.
• Star Wars: May the fourth be with you — 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Saturday, May 4, ages 7 through 12. Celebrate May the fourth with Star Wars activities including origami Yoda, Vader says and Imperial bowling.
• PAWS to Read — 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, May 7, grades first through fifth. Register for a 15 minute time slot to read with a therapy dogs.
• Once Upon a Time ... We Danced — 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, May 4, families with children ages 3 and older. See favorite storybooks come to life through dance with the help of Village Dance Studio.
• Simple Science Family Night: How does it Grow? — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, May 6, families with children ages 3 through 7. Instill a love of science with your child with easy and fun ways to learn basic concepts through simple science activities.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in for more information.
Senior Services plans events
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Wednesday, April 24, to Edinburgh Outlet Mall. Attendees must call BCSSI to sign up prior to departure. Meet at BCSSI for departure.
• Lunch and Learn — noon to 1 p.m. Friday, April 26, Town Hall Fireplace Room, 1100 W. Oak St. The topic of the discussion will be senior health and wellness. The program is sponsored by Witham Health Services. Lunch, which is free to the first 30 registrants, will be provided by Witham. Contact BCSSI to register.
• BCSSI Van Trip – Tuesday, April 30, 10:30 a.m., Old Spaghetti Factory.
Van trip attendees must call BCSSI at 765-482-5220 or 317-873-8939 for more information or to sign up prior to trip departure. Meet at BCSSI for departure. Transportation fees and meal costs are the responsibility of the attendee. Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has locations at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
Happenings at Nature Center
The Zion Nature Center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org.
• Spring Wildflower Hike — 11 a.m. Wednesday, April 24, adults. Join Myrene Brown for a hike in Starkey Park to discover what Indiana wildflowers are in bloom. After the hike, visit Brown’s home to view the integration of several spring wildflowers in her gardens. Meet in the Starkey Park parking lot off Sugarbush Drive.
• Spring migration bird hike — 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Thursday, April 25, families. Join the specialists at the center for a spring migration bird hike in Starkey Park. Local birder Rob Ripma will lead the group in search of resident and early migrant birds. The hike is for beginning and advanced birders. Meet at Starkey Park in the parking lot off Sugarbush Drive.
• Under-the-Sea — 2 p.m. Saturday, May 4, and Sunday, May 5. Join Marine Biologist Gerry Smith as he introduces everyone to some resident under-the-sea creatures in the marine aquarium. Make a sea life key chain for $2. Registration required.
• Paint a Pot — 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays, May 4 and 11, and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays, May 5 and 12. Decorate a flowerpot for a Mother’s Day gift. The center will provide all of the materials. Cost is $3.
Bingo offered every Thursday
The Zionsville American Legion Post No. 79 offers bingo at 6:30 p.m. every Thursday.
All are welcome. Bingo will be at the legion, 9950 E. County Road 600 South, Zionsville.
Penny Putters host luncheon
The Penny Putters will begin the season with a kick-off luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, April 24.
The pitch-in will be at the Lions Club clubhouse, 115 S. Elm St.
Play will begin Wednesday, May 1, at Zionsville Golf Course and the season will end Sept. 25.
Contact Diane Jackson at 873-5282 or email@example.com to sign up for Penny Putters.
ZCC hosts free lunch
The Zionsville Christian Church, 120 N. Ninth St., will host a free community lunch.
The lunch will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, April 27.
The public is welcome to attend.
Call 873-5301 for a ride or carry-out meal.
Legion hosts benefit cookout
The Zionsville American Legion, 9950 E. County Road 600 South, will host an event to benefit the family of Logan McGovern.
The event will begin at 5 p.m. Saturday, April 27.
The event will feature a cookout for $6, a bounce house, face painting, raffle and silent auction.
Money raised during the event will benefit the family of Logan McGovern, who died in January from a rare form of cancer.
GCI hosts meeting
The Golf Club of Indiana, 6905 S. County Road 525 East, Lebanon, will host a meeting for its 18 hole women’s group.
The meeting will be held at 9 a.m. Monday, April 29, in the clubhouse.
All interested women golfers are welcome to join the group, which plays on Monday mornings during the season.
Contact the pro shop at 769-6388 or email Carolyn Hibbeln at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
SullivanMunce hosts rummage sale
The SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., will host a rummage sale fundraiser.
RummageJumble will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, May 17, and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 18.
All proceeds from the event benefit the center.
Items needed for the sale include: books, antiques, electronics, furniture and decorations. The only items not accepted are clothes. Residents may drop off any items from Tuesday, April 30, through Tuesday, May 14, at the center.
Contact Melissa Fanning at email@example.com or 873-4900 for more information.
ZUMC hosts day of prayer
Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road, will take part in a National Day of Prayer.
Stop by the church between noon and 8 p.m. Thursday, May 2, to pray for American leadership, education, faith and the economy during a self-guided prayer time.
Visit www.zumc.org for more information.
Lacrosse Day benefits fund
A Lacrosse Family Fun Day has been scheduled to benefit the Just Win, Ruby! Community Connection nonprofit.
The not-for-profit was established by Ruby Kahoun’s parents in her name to help families with a child battling a long-term illness. Kahoun is a Zionsville resident battling leukemia.
Proceeds from the event will benefit the fund.
The event will be from noon to 6 p.m. Saturday, May 4, at the Zionsville Community High School football field.
The event will feature a silent auction, games and face painting.
Grades third through eighth boys and girls lacrosse teams will scrimmage from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. with a JV game at 3:30 p.m. and a varsity game at 5:30 p.m. Meals and concessions will be sold.
Visit www.justwinruby.org for more information.
Lebanon library hosts literacy workshop
The Community Foundation of Boone County and the Lebanon Public Library will present an Early Literacy Workshop at the library, 104 E. Washington St., Lebanon.
The workshop will be at 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 15, in the top floor meeting room.
The workshop will demonstrate how parents can use five familiar and easy to use practices to develop language and other early literacy skills in children from birth to age 5. The workshop will explain why the skills are important and send parents and caregivers home with early literacy ideas to incorporate into the family’s daily routine.
Attendees will receive a certificate of participation and a free book.
Contact Tammy Culley at 765-483-2570 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
New networking group forms
A new women’s networking group, Zionsville Women in Network, will hold an informational meeting from noon to 1 p.m. Thursday, May 16, at Patrick’s Kitchen and Drinks, 175 S. Main St.
This group of Zionsville women in business will meet monthly with a goal to support, inspire and promote women in the community on a professional and personal level.
A pre-selected menu will be available for an optional lunch.
ZWIN will focus on networking, education, marketing and philanthropy. Membership applications will be accepted.
Contact Debbi Kuller at email@example.com or Kathy Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.
Garden plots available
- Community Calendar from March 5, 2014 Community Calendar from March 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014
- More Calendar Headlines