Registration open for Spanish classes
Learn Another Language Inc., before-school Spanish program is enrolling students for the 2013-14 school year.
The kindergarten through sixth grade program meets Mondays through Thursdays in the elementary and middle schools. Space is limited. Visit www.lalzionsville.org to register. Contact Amy Malott at 506-3890 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Events planned for seniors
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Independent Consultation Computer Class — 10 a.m. to noon every Wednesday in the Narthex of Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road. Cost is $20.
• Cards — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Wednesday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Bridge and euchre will be played.
• Fun and Fit for Over 50 — 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. every Thursday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St.
• Art Class — 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Cost is $5 per class. Instructor Shirley Luttrell will work with any level of student and any medium.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Friday, June 7, Castleton Square Mall. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees. Contact BCSSI to register.
Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has locations at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
Events set at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Read, White and Blue: A Star-Spangled Summer — now through July 27, birth through entering fifth grade. Reading logs will be available at the library or at www.zionsville.lib.in.us. The first 1,000 to report their first goal of three books will receive a foam rocket or rubber duck. Earn a prize for every five books up to 50. Reach the 50-book goal and earn a chance to win the grand prize.
• Liberty and Books for All — June through July, adults. Be on the lookout for programs during June and July for the summer reading program. Visit the online calendar to see programs. The top 20 readers will earn Starbucks gift cards. At the end of July, one patron will win the second prize, a Colts barbecue set. One patron will win the grand prize, a Cuisinart ice cream maker.
• Adorable Monsters — 10:15 a.m. to 11 a.m. Monday, June 10, ages 3 through 6. Listen to stories and songs about monsters and create some monstrously fun crafts.
• Dancing Feet — 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Monday, June 10, ages 3 through 6.
• Read, Build, Play with DUPLOs: Grow, Caterpillar Grow — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, June 10, ages 3 through 6 with a parent.
• Monday Movie: “The Invention of Hugo Cabret” — 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday, June 10, families.
• Monday Tandem Read Book Club — 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, June 10, ages 7 through 12 with a parent.
• Music on the Lawn: “Howl at the Moon,” with Tom Sieling — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, families.
• Yoga storytime for peaceful children — 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. Thursday, June 13, grades kindergarten through third.
• Superman Day — 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, June 15, families with children ages 3 and older. Dress like a superhero and explore the comic book world with activities, crafts and stories.
• Rocket Launch — 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Monday, June 17, ages 3 through 6; 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., ages 7 through 10. Learn how to create a safe rocket for a stuffed animal.
United Way sponsors kickoff event
The United Way of Central Indiana, Boone County, will hold a kickoff event to recruit volunteers who will read to, tutor or mentor children in the coming school year. The event will take place at noon Thursday, June 6, at the Boone County Courthouse, 307 Courthouse Square, Lebanon. It will feature a choral reading of Dr. Seuss’s “Oh the Places You’ll Go!” to generate awareness and support for its Read.Tutor.Mentor challenge. The goal is to recruit 100 Boone County volunteers. Visit www.eventbrite.com/event/653075669# to register.
SullivanMunce plans events
The SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., can be reached at 873-4900 or visit www.sullivanmunce.org for more information.
• Plein Air Painting Workshop featuring John Budicin — 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, June 12, through Friday, June 14. This three-day painting workshop allows participants to study with professional artist John Budicin. Class will begin with a short lecture and samples of Budicin’s approach. From there, the class will go to a location and begin painting.
• Garden Classics — 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, June 14. Guests will view vintage classic cars, automotive art by Kaytee Esser and plein air paintings by John Budicin while listening to jazz by the Brick Street Quartet. Wine, beer and non-alcoholic options will be served. Tickets are $30 for members and $35 for nonmembers.
• Paint Out — All day Saturday, June 15. Artists will gather in the Village for a Plein Air Paint Out. Artists must register and/or check in between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. at the SullivanMunce Cultural Center. A map of historic downtown locations and gardens on the Gardens of Zionsville Tour will be included in the registration packet. Artists are encouraged to paint at the sites suggested but are not required to do so. All stamped/tagged works completed that day by 2 p.m. will be eligible for judging and will be available for sale after the Paint Out awards ceremony. Monetary awards will be given to 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-place professional artists. The first-place winner will have their name added to the Cynthia Van Tassel Yeo Plein Air Award plaque, on display at the SullivanMunce Cultural Center
• The Gardens of Zionsville Tour — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 15. This tour features six gardens and grounds in the Zionsville area and features three garden speakers. Tickets are $15 in advance, $5 for children 10 and younger. Tickets are $20 the day of the event. Proceeds benefit the SullivanMunce Cultural Center. Call 873-4900 for more information.
CruZionsville on June 15
Join Club members, friends and volunteers of the Central Indiana Region Porsche Club of America for an exciting one-day event on the “Brick Street” in downtown Zionsville from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 15. There will be more than 100 Porsche cars at our third annual event. Proceeds go to the Alzheimer’s Association - Greater Indiana Chapter. The goal is to raise $10,000.
Early bird registration is only $30 per car until May 31.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.
Registration open for Spanish classes
- Community Calendar from March 5, 2014 Community Calendar from March 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014
- More Calendar Headlines