The Zion Nature Center offers the following upcoming events:
• Box turtles: A Long Winter’s Nap — 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 13. Learn interesting facts about hibernation and box turtles. Meet some of the reptiles as they hibernate.
• Animal Adventures: Owls — 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday, Jan. 18, ages 3 through 6. Meet at the library for a fictional story then walk to the nature center to learn facts about owls.
• Live Birds of Prey — 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, ages 6 and older. Mark Booth of Take Flight Wildlife Education and his birds of prey will be at the center. Get a close look at hawks, falcons and other birds of prey. The program is sponsored by the Friends of Zion Nature Center and will take place at Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St.
• Cub Scout Workshop: Naturalist Badge — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 24, Cub Scouts. Visit the center to fulfill five requirements needed to obtain the Weblos Naturalist badge. Scouts will learn about bird identification, bird flyways, poisonous plants, venomous reptiles and other animals. Registration is required.
• Wonderful World of Birds — 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, ages 7 and older. Join Rob Ripma for a program about the world of birds. In addition to exploring backyard birds, learn how to identify the common birds of Indiana and learn basic binocular skills.
• Hiking in a Winter Wonderland — 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27. Enjoy a guided winter hike and cup of hot chocolate back at the center.
The nature center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org for more information.
Toastmasters will meet Jan. 14
The Zionsville Toastmasters Club will meet from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Jan. 14, at the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St. Learn more about communication and leadership. The club will meet every Monday evening. Email questions to Jennifer Pillion-Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
professionals meet Jan. 16
The monthly Zionsville Emerging Professionals meeting will be 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 16, at Carolina Grill, 7629 W. Stonegate Dr.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.