Purple Prom benefits Relay
Relay For Life of Zionsville’s Goof Troop will host its inaugural “Purple Prom” from 8 p.m. to midnight Saturday, June 8, at the Palomino Ballroom, 481 S. County Road 1200 East.
Tickets are $35, and proceeds benefit the Relay for Life of Zionsville. Cost includes a silent auction, appetizer and drink stations, and two drink tickets. Event is for adults ages 21 and older.
Tickets are on sale through Saturday, June 1. Tickets may be purchased at Akard True Value Hardware. Exact cash or check only.
Events planned for seniors
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Friday, May 31, to Tippecanoe Mall. Cost is $6. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees. Call BCSSI at 873-8939 to register.
• Van Trip — 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, June 4, Gray Brother’s Cafeteria, Mooresville. Attendees are responsible for food, transportation and admission fees. Call BCSSI to register.
Events set at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Loaded with Goodies — now through Sunday, June 30. All ages may guess how many pieces of candy are in each container for a chance to win the container of sweets. A 50 cent donation to American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life is suggested for each entry.
• Toddler Time — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Thursday, May 30, and Fridays, June 7, 14 and 21, ages 1 through 2.
• American Girl Junior: Caroline — 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, June 18, ages 4 through 7. Registration begins Thursday, May 30.
• American Girl: Caroline — 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., ages 7 through 12. Registration begins Thursday, May 30.
• Read, White and Blue: A Star-Spangled Summer — Friday, May 31, through July 27, birth through entering fifth grade. Reading logs will be available at the library or at www.zionsville.lib.in.us. The first 1,000 to report their first goal of three books will receive a foam rocket or rubber duck. Earn a prize for every five books up to 50. Reach the 50 book goal and earn a chance to win the grand prize.
• Liberty and Books for All — June through July, adults. Be on the lookout for programs during June and July for the summer reading program. Visit the online calendar to see programs. The top 20 readers will earn Starbucks gift cards. At the end of July, one patron will win the second prize, a Colts barbecue set. One patron will win the grand prize, a Cuisinart ice cream maker.
• Library Summer Hours — Sunday, June 2, the library will begin closing on Sundays during the summer. Normal Sunday hours will resume Sept. 8.
• Kick-Off Party — Monday, June 3. Spend the day at the library to enjoy summer fun, pottery, food and activities.
• Ronald McDonald — 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Monday, June 3, ages 3 through 12.
• Curious George — 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tuesday, June 4, ages 3 through 6. Listen to stories about George and his friend, the Man with the Yellow Hat.
• PAWS to Read — 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, June 4, ages 7 through 12. Sign up for 15 minutes of one-on-one reading time with a therapy dog.
• Readers Theater: Scrambles States of America — 3:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Tuesday, June 18, ages 7 through 12. Registration begins Tuesday, June 4.
• Adorable Monsters — 10:15 a.m. to 11 a.m. Wednesday, June 10, ages 3 through 6. Registration begins Tuesday, June 4.
• Brave Girls — 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, June 19, ages 10 through 12. Registration begins Tuesday, June 4.
• Fly Guy — 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Thursday, June 20, ages 3 through 6. Read stories and have some fly fun. Registration begins Tuesday, June 4.
• Snack Attack: No Bake Cinnamon Rolls — 2:30 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. Wednesday, June 5, grades first through fifth.
• Crafty Corner: Basket Weaving — 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Thursday, June 6, grades second through fifth. Decorate your desk with a piece of recycled art.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149, or visit www.zionsville.lib.in for more information.
Band plays free concert
The Zionsville Concert Band will play a free concert at 7 p.m. Friday, May 31, in the Robin Run Village Community Room, 5354 W. 62nd St., Indianapolis. The concert is entitled “Marches, Musicals and Mahler” and will include compositions by John Phillip Sousa, Karl King, Richard Rodgers, Gustav Mahler, Charles Strouse, Jerry Bock and Henry Filmore. No tickets are necessary.
Call Musical Director John Richardson at 717-4667 for more information.
Celebrate with SullivanMunce Guild
Former and current members of the SullivanMunce Cultural Center Guild are invited to attend a 40th Anniversary Celebration Brunch.
The brunch will begin at 11 a.m. Monday, June 3, at the center, 225 W. Hawthorne St.
Call Deenie Andrae at 873-6184 to R.S.V.P.
Garden Club hosts auction
The Zionsville Garden Club will host a plant auction at 10 a.m. Tuesday, June 4, at Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St.
Members will bring perennial plants to sell that are suitable for both sun and shade gardens.
Proceeds from the sale will provide funding for grants for local garden projects.
Homemakers host event
The Boone County Extension Homemakers will host a First Tuesday event at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 4, in the Farm Bureau Community Building at the Boone County 4-H Fairgrounds. Joan Mohr will instruct attendees in making a hypertufa pot. Cost is $2. Registration is required. Call 765-482-0750 to register by Friday, May 31. Attendees need to bring a pair of latex or rubber gloves.
Councilors join ZVRA meeting
Zionsville Town Councilors Susana Suarez and Elizabeth Hopper will host a discussion during the next Zionsville Village Residents Association meeting.
The meeting will be at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 4, at SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St.
The discussion will focus on the future of Zionsville, upcoming development and other important issues.
All residents are welcome.
Visit www.zvra.com for more information.
Legion to host yard sales
The Zionsville American Legion Auxiliary, 9950 E. County Road 600 South, will host yard sales every month in the summer.
The yard sales will be from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays, June 8, July 13 and Aug. 10.
Tables and spaces may be rented for $20.
Drop off items at the Legion to donate for the yard sale.
Email email@example.com or call Linda at 769-4270 for more information.
SullivanMunce hosts art, car show
SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., will hold Garden Classics from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, June 14.
The event combines art, history and classic cars. Attendees will be able to stroll through a display of classic cars from the Classic Car Club of Indiana, the art of John Bidicina and Michelle LaRae, while enjoying wine, beer and hors d’oeuvres.
Cost is $30 for members and $35 for non-members.
Visit www.sullivanmunce.org for more information.
Relay returns June 14
Relay For Life of Zionsville is set for noon to 10 a.m. June 14 and 15, at Lions Park, 115 S. Elm St., Zionsville.
The two-day event will feature 304 participants on 41 teams.
Zionsville Paint Out
Zionsville Paint Out will be Saturday, June 15, as artists will gather in the Village of Zionsville for a Plein Air Paint Out (painting outside). Artists must register and/or check-in between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. at the SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St. A continental breakfast will be provided. The event will be held rain or shine.
Registration is free for members, $25 for nonmembers.
Garden tour set
Tour six private gardens throughout historic Zionsville 10 am – 4 pm June 15, and stop by the SullivanMunce Cultural Center for gardening speakers. Proceeds benefit the SullivanMunce Cultural Center.
Tickets in advance are $15, $20 day of the tour, children 10 and younger are $5.
Call 873-4900 for more information.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.
Purple Prom benefits Relay
- Community Calendar from March 5, 2014 Community Calendar from March 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014
- More Calendar Headlines