Garden plots available
Garden plots are now available for the 2013 season from St. Francis-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church, 1525 Mulberry St.
Each plot is 20 feet by 20 feet and has easy access to water.
Cost is $35, and the church is requesting that 10 percent of the harvest be donated to local food pantries.
Call Pat Guiney at 873-4377 for more information and to reserve a plot.
at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• Benjamin’s Kite — 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 20, families with children ages 3 and older. Supplies and directions available for families to make and fly a kite like young Benjamin Franklin. Register for supplies and follow self-guided instructions.
• AARP Tax-Aide — 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. every Thursday from now through April 4. Free tax help for taxpayers with low and middle income with special attention to those ages 60 and older. Reservations required.
• Art of Alexander Calder — 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, March 23, ages 8 through 12. Join staff from SullivanMunce Cultural Center and explore the art of Alexander Calder by making a mobile with wire, beads and buttons.
• Simple Science Family Night: How does it grow? — 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, March 25, families with children ages 3 through 7. Instill a love of science with easy and fun ways to learn basic concepts through simple science activities.
• Inkblots: The Science of Art — 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 27, grades fourth and fifth. Drip, splat and squish to creativity using inkblots. This technique uses both sides of the brain to tap into creativity.
• Hard-Boiled Detective — 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. Thursday, March 28, grades first through third. Be a hard-boiled detective and discover who-dun-it to Humpty Dumpty. Attendees will use science and imagination as well as color hard-boiled eggs.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in for more information.
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Independent Consultation Computer Class — 10 a.m. to noon every Wednesday in the Narthex of Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road. Cost is $20.
• Cards — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Wednesday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Bridge and euchre will be played.
• Fun and Fit for Over 50 — 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. every Thursday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St.
• Art Class — 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every Tuesday at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Cost is $5 per class. Instructor Shirley Luttrell will work with any level of student and any medium.
• Lunch and Learn — noon to 1 p.m. Friday, March 22, in the Zionsville Town Hall Community Room. Josh Dickey, new energy wellness coordinator from American Senior Communities, will discuss the importance of staying active and physically fit. Lunch, which is free to the first 30 registrants, will be provided by Zionsville Meadows.
• Travel Group — May 29 through June 4 to Boston, Salem and the New England North Shore. Cost is $565 per person based on double occupancy. Single and triple occupancy prices are available. Cost includes round trip transportation; luggage handling; 10 meals; seven days, six nights of lodging; a guided tour of Boston, Concord, Lexington and Salem; visit the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, Quincy Marketplace and Cambridge. Payment of $75 deposit per person is due upon signing. Final payment due Saturday, March 23. Contact BCSSI for more information.
Center Stage stages production
Center Stage Community Theatre, 604 Powell St., Lebanon, presents its newest show this season “The Cemetery Club,” written by Ivan Menchell and running now through March 24. The heart-warming comedy tells the story of three Jewish widows who meet once a month for tea before going to visit their husbands’ graves. Then Sam the butcher enters the scene.
The play is directed by Doug Davis & stars Marty Essig, Kate Hinman, Kristen Wilson, Will Pullins, & Tonya Fenimore.
Tickets can be reserved by calling 765-894-5587. Cost is $12 for adults & $10 for students & seniors. Friday & Saturday night performances start at 7:30 p.m.. Sunday matinee at 2:30 p.m.
Call Sally Dunlap at 317-371-3642 or visit the websitewww.centerstagetheatre.org for more information.
Optimists Club offers scholarship
The Zionsville Optimists Club is offering a $1,000 vocational scholarship to graduating ZCHS seniors to be used for tuition at schools offering degrees in trades or specialized fields, such as barber and beauty schools, electrical work, and similar programs.
Email email@example.com of the Optimists Club for more information.
Happenings at the nature center
The following activities are planned at the Zion Nature Center:
• Easter eggs gourds — 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, March 23 and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, March 24, ages 5 and older. Decorate natural Easter eggs using gourds. The home-grown gourds are the right size and shape and will last for years. The cost is $2 and all supplies are included.
• Owls of Indiana — 11 a.m. Saturday, March 23, ages 5 and older. Learn about Indiana’s owls and what makes these birds of prey both masters of flight and supreme hunters. Program is free. Dissect an owl pellet for $3.
• Closed for Easter — Sunday, March 31.
The Zion Nature Center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org.
SullivanMunce hosts callout
The SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., will hold a volunteer callout event.
The event will be from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, March 21, at the center.
Attendees will learn about volunteer opportunities and enjoy refreshments.
For more information visit www.sullivanmunce.org or cal 873-4900.
Concert band offers free concert
The Zionsville Concert Band will play a free concert at 7 p.m. Friday, March 22, in the Community Room of Robin Run Village, 5354 W. 62nd St., Indianapolis.
The concert is entitled “Strike up the Band” and will include compositions by George Gershwin, Leonard Bernstein, Irving Berlin, Richard Rogers and others.
The concert is open to the public, and no tickets are necessary.
Call Musical Director John Richardson at 717-4667 for more information.
Dive-in movie scheduled
The Zionsville Aquatic Center, 1000 Mulberry St., will host a “dive-in movie.”
The doors will open at 5:30 p.m., and the movie will begin at 6 p.m. Saturday, March 23.
The movie that will be shown is Disney-Pixar’s “Cars.”
Cost is $6 per person or $9 with pizza and bottled water.
Children younger than 7 must have a parent or guardian in the pool with them at all times. Children ages 7 through 13 must have a parent or guardian in the building.
Visit http://pool.zcs.k12.in.us to register.
Call 873-3355 ext. 12036 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Egg hunt at Lions Park
The Zionsville Lions Club will sponsor its 22nd Annual Eggnormous Egg Hunt on Saturday, March 30.
Events will begin at 9 a.m. with a pancake and sausage breakfast for a donation at Lions Park.
The hunt will begin at 10:30 a.m., and more than 13,000 eggs will be hidden in the park.
Start times will be staggered for various age groups.
Special guests Roarie the Lion and the Easter Bunny will make an appearance. Activities include free face painting, free photographs with the bunny, free balloons and the Zionsville Merchant’s Association rubber duck hunt.
Email Tara Worthley at email@example.com for more information.
Easter Egg hunt scheduled
The Whitestown Park Department will hold the annual Community Easter Egg Hunt at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 30, at Walker Farms Park.
The park is located at the intersection of Main Street and East County Road 400 South.
Contact Katie at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer or make a donation.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.
Garden plots available
- Community Calendar from March 5, 2014 Community Calendar from March 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 1, 2014
- More Calendar Headlines