Events planned for seniors
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Independent Consultation Computer Class — 10 a.m. to noon Wednesdays, Feb. 27 and March 6, 13 and 20, in the Narthex of Zionsville United Methodist Church, 9644 Whitestown Road. Cost is $20.
• Cards — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 27, March 6, 13 and 20, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Bridge and euchre will be played.
• Fun and Fit for Over 50 — 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Thursdays, Feb. 28 and March 7, 14, 21 and 28, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St.
• Art Class — 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays, March 4, 11 and 18, at the Boys and Girls Club of Zionsville, 1575 Mulberry St. Cost is $5 per class. Instructor Shirley Luttrell will work with any level of student and any medium.
• Van Trip — 9 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 28. Travel to a destination of choice. Choose from Home Goods, Red Lobster, JoAnn Fabrics, Marshalls, Olive Garden, Target, or Hobby Lobby. Van trip attendees must call BCSSI at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939 for more information or to sign-up prior to trip departure. Meet at BCSSI for departure.
• Travel Group — May 29 through June 4 to Boston, Salem and the New England North Shore. Cost is $565 per person based on double occupancy. Single and triple occupancy prices are available.
Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has a location at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
The Zion Nature Center offers the following upcoming events:
• Raising Backyard Chickens — 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, ages 15 and older. Master Gardener Jane Deidrich will show how keeping a small flock of chickens is a great way to recycle food scraps while improving both gardens and diets.
The nature center, 690 Beech St., can be reached at 873-8950 or visit www.zionnaturecenterfriends.org for more information.
Women’s self defense courses available
Women’s Self Defense Training course is available from now through March 25 for women in grades nine through 12.
The class meets from 8 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. Mondays in the Zionsville Middle School North Gymnasium, 900 Ford Road. The cost is $36.75.
The eight week course will assist in preparing college bound women with focus on personal protection and self-defense. Women will learn types of awareness, prevention, risk reduction, physical power, and how to reduce their chances of becoming a crime victim. Parents are encouraged to attend course sessions. Dress code is normal school clothing and shoes.