Nominate an outstanding senior
The Boone County Council on Aging is accepting nominations for the Outstanding Older Hoosier award for Boone County.
The award recognizes outstanding Hoosiers for their lifetime of service to their communities through both volunteer and professional achievement.
To nominate someone, send the nominee’s full name, address, phone number and birth date along with a narrative of up to three pages describing the recipient’s activities, achievements and contributions to the community to Boone County Senior Services, Inc. c/o Olive Wade, 515 CrownPointe Drive, Lebanon, 46052.
Call Rene Stanley at 765-894-2481 or Senior Services at 873-8939 for more information.
The winner will be announced during a luncheon at noon Wednesday, March 20.
Registration open for ZCS-GROW
Registration is now open for Zionsville Community Schools’ 2013-14 GROW programming.
Programming included this year is Summer Explorers’ Day Camp at Pleasant View Elementary, universal preschool at Boone Meadow Elementary, kindergarten bridge, before and after care and middle school JAM.
Email ZCSGrow@zcs.k12.in.us to register.
Contact the ZCS-GROW office at 873-2226 ext. 11126 for more information.
Psi Iota Xi, a philanthropic sorority, is accepting applications for a $1,000 non-renewable scholarship for a graduating high school senior from Zionsville who will be attending a four-year university.
The scholarship is open to students pursuing any field of study, but special consideration may be given to those who have chosen art, music or speech/hearing development. Applications are available in the Zionsville Community High School guidance office and are due March 27. Call Denise Troyer at 626-8171 for more information.
The Zionsville Optimists Club is offering a $1,000 vocational scholarship to graduating ZCHS seniors to be used for tuition at schools offering degrees in trades or specialized fields, such as barber and beauty schools, electrical work, and similar programs.
Email email@example.com of the Optimists Club for more information.
at the library
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library has planned the following events.
• AARP Tax-Aide — 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. every Thursday from now through April 4. Free tax help for taxpayers with low and middle income with special attention to those ages 60 and older. Reservations required.
• Single Session Toddler Time — 9:45 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Thursday, March 7, ages 1 and 2. This active program uses books, finger plays, puppets, songs and nursery rhymes to foster a familiar environment for toddlers.
• Art 101: Basics of art for preschoolers — 4:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday, March 7, ages 3 and 4. Preschoolers can work on shapes and colors while learning about and creating a work of art.
• Animal Adventure: Salamanders — 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday, March 8, ages 3 through 6 with a parent. Meet at the library for a story about salamanders then walk over to the Zion Nature Center to visit with the animals.
• Safe-Sitter Class — 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, March 9, ages 11 through 13. A course to teach babysitters how to be safe and nurturing caregivers and handle children’s emergencies. Cost is $55. Bring a sack lunch.
• My Art: Animals — 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, March 9, grades kindergarten through sixth. Learn how to draw using the Monart drawing method and create a colorful drawing of an animal inspired by the art of Laurel Burch.
• Create-A-Plate — Monday, March 11, through Sunday, March 17. Drop by any time the library is open and draw on a special paper to be transformed into a melamine plate. Plates may be picked up in six to eight weeks. Cost is $6.50 per plate.
• K-Plus Monet Masterpieces — 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. Thursday, March 14, ages 5 through 6. Learn about great artists and create a masterpiece.
• A Space to Create: Picasso — 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, March 16, ages 5 through 9. Explore the art of Picasso. The focus will be on his “blue period.” Create a portrait using only blue, black and white paint.
• Tandem Read Book Club: The Westing Game — 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday, March 18, ages 8 through 12 plus an adult. Join the youth librarians for a new five month book club. Bring a dish for the pitch-in dinner to eat and discuss the book of the month.
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. Fifth St., can be reached at 873-3149 or visit www.zionsville.lib.in for more information.
Help the Zionsville Food Bank
The Zionsville Food Bank, 4775 W. 116th St., and Mothers of Preschoolers will sponsor a family night out event from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, March 9.
The Hunter Smith Band will play a concert during the event.
Proceeds from the event will provide food to the food bank and allow other mothers the opportunity to participate in MOPS. Childcare will be available.
Tickets may be purchased at http://bit.ly/Y71PZh.
Boone County Senior Services has scheduled the following activities:
• Van Trip — 10 a.m. Friday, March 15, to Mo’s Irish Pub in Noblesville. Transportation fees and meal costs are the responsibility of the attendee. Call to schedule personal transportation appointments.
• Travel Group — May 29 through June 4 to Boston, Salem and the New England North Shore. Cost is $565 per person based on double occupancy. Single and triple occupancy prices are available. Call BCSSI for more information.
Boone County Senior Services, Inc., can be reached at 765-482-5220 or 873-8939. The organization has a location at 1100 W. Oak St. and 515 Crown Point Drive, Lebanon.
Women’s self defense courses available
Women’s Self Defense Training course is available from now through March
25 for women in grades nine through 12.
The class meets from 8 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. Mondays in the Zionsville Middle School North Gymnasium, 900 Ford Road. The cost is $36.75.
The eight-week course will assist in preparing college bound women with focus on personal protection and self-defense. Women will learn types of awareness, prevention, risk reduction, physical power, and how to reduce their chances of becoming a crime victim.
Preschool registration for fall enrollment in the Early Childhood Ministry at Christ Church, 600 County Road 1000 East, has begun.
Call Laurie Highsmith at 873-3232 or visit www.zionsvillelutheran.org/index.php/preschool/purpose for more information.
The Zionsville Extension Homemakers Club “Village Homemakers” will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday, March 7, at the home of Georgi Schroeder.
The program will be “Tying a Quilt – Three Techniques.”
Guests are welcome. Call 733-0274 for more information.
YETI sets dinner, silent auction
Zionsville-based YETI Orphanage will hold its 10th annual dinner and silent auction at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 12, at Barnes and Thornburg, 11 S. Meridian St., Indianapolis.
Proceeds from the dinner support the orphanage that YETI built and operates in Nepal as well as underprivileged children’s causes in Indiana.
Tickets are $40, and one free child ticket is available for each adult ticket purchased.
Visit www.yetikids.org or contact Jeff Papa at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Easter Egg hunt scheduled
The Whitestown Park Department will hold the annual Community Easter Egg Hunt at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 30, at Walker Farms Park at the intersection of Main Street and East County Road 400 South.
Contact Katie at email@example.com to volunteer or make a donation.
Local state elected officials will be at a Legislative Breakfast and discuss legislative issues at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, March 16, at the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library. The event is coordinated by the Boone County Chamber of Commerce and sponsored by Indiana Farm Bureau and Witham. Doughnuts and coffee provided.
The deadline for Community Calendar announcements is 5 p.m. Fridays for the following week’s publication. Boone County-related announcements are welcome.
Nominate an outstanding senior
Community calendar for March 12, 2014
Tri Kappa accepting scholarship applications Zionsville Tri Kappa is accepting scholarship applications from high school seniors and Zionsville Community High School alumni who are attending college. Four $1,000 scholarships are available, three for
- Community Calendar from March 5, 2014 Community Calendar from March 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 26, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 19, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 12, 2014
- Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014 Community Calendar from Feb. 5, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 29, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 22, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 15, 2014
- Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014 Community Calendar from Jan. 8, 2014
- More Calendar Headlines
- Community calendar for March 12, 2014