To no one’s surprise, the Boone County Commissioners extended the declaration of a state of emergency for the third week. State law only allows the declaration to stand for seven days. It allows the president of the Commissioners, Donnie Lawson, the ability to reposition assets, restrict public access and limit contact in regards to the coronavirus outbreak.
Governor Eric Holcomb issued an executive order March 23 commonly known as “stay at home.” The directive is an order for all citizens of Indiana, with exceptions for “essential” workers. However, confusion over “essential” and “non-essential” businesses and concerns has created a lot of anxiety and confusion.
A lot happened in 1918. World War I was declared four years earlier. More than 70 million military troops were called into active service. Boys from far-flung farms went overseas to strange lands and lived in conditions of misery under constant threat of death.
Support local journalism
We are making critical coverage of the coronavirus available for free.
Please consider subscribing so we can continue to bring you the latest news and information on this developing story.
This Week's Circulars
Premium Text Ads
Norma Smith, 82, of Indianapolis, passed away Wednesday, March 11, 2020. Norma was born November 16, 1937, a daughter of the late William and Bessie Harrison. She graduated from Newport High School in 1955. She was club manager of Zionsville American Legion, retiring after 37 years of servic…
Luanne Renée McGhee, age 83, died February 29, 2020 in Carmel, Indiana. Born July 1, 1936 in New York City to her late parents, Fred & Lucille Cooper, Luanne grew up in New Jersey and Michigan. She graduated from Michigan State University with a degree in Elementary Education. She met an…
- Governor signs Gaskill bill dealing with Plan Commission membership
- Police, we really don't want to stop you
- Approximately 30,000 N95 masks find their way back home
- ‘Spring into Action’ First Fridays to benefit businesses, not-for-profit groups
- K9 leads police to nude suspect in field
- Truckers keep supply lines open amidst virus fears
- Rick's Cooking School offers 'Soup for Seniors'
- Reported suspect disappears within seconds
- Police seek suspect in gun incident at church
- Mayor selects new ZPD chief